Getting C licence witout cpc?

Peter Smythe:

In regards to the test is it the basic test you would take in a car/ car + trailer? Check you can reverse then do a half hour drive round the local roads with a hill start thrown in? Or is it more in depth like check you can strap down loads and pre drive safety checks?

When I did my trailer test I phoned a local company and went out for a hour before my test to get a feel for length/the car. Couldnt use my own as it was an automatic and not a box trailer! I dont think I would get away with it being this easy again sadly haha.

I am in the north of Scotland up near Inverness so quite a way away unfortunately. Not to say I couldnt do it, just I would need to sit the test when I was down as its a good 1000 mile round trip.

I assume if you pass in an automatic you can only use automatics, or is it different to the rules for cars?

Currently I should just get my provisional and do my theorys then sort out getting an assessment drive done then? Local companies offer week long courses which feels overkill to pass a driving test only. Not trying to sound cocky just feel I have an advantage with my prior driving of machinary.

The test is the reversing exercise (same as for BE). Before that you’ll answer 5 show me, tell me questions. Then a drive minimum of 1 hour. You wont actually strap down loads (that’s closer to Mod 4 - driver cpc). But to answer the show me, tell me questions, you’ll need a reasonable knowledge and be familiar with the vehicle being used.

I would suggest, as previously mentioned, a couple of assessment drives. Most trainers offer block bookings, normally around 4 days with test on day 5. However, I dont know of any that wont accommodate a shorter training period where it’s appropriate.

Distance is or isn’t an issue. We currently have a candidate from Shetland on our books and many, many folks come from north of the border.

Provided you have a full car licence, passing on an auto truck will give you a full manual licence.

Dont bother with the theory tests; once you have your provisional, go for the assessment drives suggested.

A word to the wise; I have had candidates with similar experience and they have been fine with 4 or 6 hours training. I’ve also had the same, experienced candidates who have struggled to complete the course within the normal timeframe. This is why the assessment is vital. Once you’ve had a couple of assessments, you’ll know if you’re being stuffed up. And no reputable trainer will do this.

Search out reviews before you arrange assessments.

I hope all this helps. Always here if any further queries.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Ok, I had thought banging out the theory early would be easiest to then just need to get the driving done.

There is a company offering a medical for £55 online which is done in a hotel, does this sound normal/acceptable price wise? I thought you would need to go to an actual gp for it.
d4drivers.uk/locations/inverness/

Good to know about the automatics being ok as that wasnt the case with my trailer test. There are only 3 companies (2 of which are running 1990s trucks) near me which offer training so choice is rather limited. I guess if you can drive a older truck you can drive anything!

Thanks for answering my questions :slight_smile: