Buses, coaches, & lorries

Ray Smyth:
Further to the comments from Gingerfold and Ramone regarding AEC Reliance and Leyland Leopard buses and coaches.
During my 2 almost years with Ribble Motor Services from early 1968, I drove approx 20 Leyland Leopard buses & coaches.
The early Leopard buses were manual 3 pedal machines with 4 speed gearbox, from 1965 they were 2 pedal with 4 speed.
The Leopard coaches at my depot at Wigan were 2 pedal with 5 speed gearbox, and in my opinion, the Leyland Leopards
were a good vehicle to drive. During the late 1970s, I did occasional coach driving jobs for Finch Coaches of Wigan, these
were usually about 40 boozers from a local pub to racecourses, York, Thirsk, Uttoxeter etc. Most of the trips were with
an ex Yelloway AEC Reliance 7072 DK from about 1963, Despite it being about 13 years old, it was a pleasure to drive. I dont know
what engine it would have had, perhaps a 505, and it would catch pigeons. :sunglasses: A typical race day would be, set off from the
depot about 9am, pick up the passengers at the pub, and proceed to another hostelry nearer to the racecourse for early lunch.
Sometimes I would be given a few quid to get myself on the racecourse and have a couple of bets on the horses. I am not a
gambling man, and my PSV Drivers badge got me on the course for free. :smiley: The " Cash in hand/Arse pocket " wage for the
day was between 8 and 10 quid, and the " Whip Round " for the driver at the end of the day was usually just over 20 quid.
Of course, I informed H.M. Inland Revenue of my extra income. Half the lies I tell are not true. :wink:
Below is AEC 7072 DK at Cheltenham Coach Station when it was in service with Yelloway of Rochdale. Also a few Ribble
Leyland Leopards.

Ray Smyth.

Good stuff, Ray, the former Yelloway Reliance was one of 7 bought in 1962, with Harrington bodywork and AH590 engine, a nice looking coach I always thought.