Any old promotor drivers around

The trip Tommy Burch and I made to Baghdad we both had the white Promotor box trailers. That was the trip where we sat outside some factory for about 3 days, every day presenting our papers to a little office in the corner of the warehouse. I suspect the fellow there couldn’t read as he held up that huge sheet of paper which was the manifest at all angles, often upside down. When he went out of the room his young female secretary was giggling and saying “mushkila” (problem). She then stuck her tongue in and out very fast and and some other very obscene movements just for my benefit. I think I had an invitation arab style…

After 3 days waiting - and Tommy keen to commit murder - the guy gave us another slip of paper and told us to go… I tried to ask directions but as he spoke no English at all we had no idea where we had to go… We stopped and asked pedestrians but most couldn’t read… Somehow or other we found our destination and they started to unload… I was parked behind Tommy’s truck as the unloading gang worked and I noticed one of the gang in the back of the trailer tearing open a box and trying to hide something in his folded jumper… I jumped out and started yelling and this started a huge argument with the foreman that the boxes were open and he couldn’t sign off the manifest etc etc.

As to the photo you show it’s possible that that’s the trip I did with the two trailers. I had my own trailer and another one attached to the back piloted by Johnny Ward. I was a real gentleman and let Johnny tip in Baghdad first so he could get going home on his own…