AEC Mercury

windrush:
Interesting that they used a synchromesh gearbox back then, I thought the later Ergomatic cabbed Marshall’s had a constant mesh one? Back in the sixties we used to service a Mustang owned by Gillette Industries, I assume they were similar mechanically to those in the brochures? I seem to remember it having the aircleaner in the cab though, and the little red ‘flags’ that popped up to let you know that you had now no brakes! :open_mouth:

Pete.

When I was knee-high to a grasshopper one of our local coach companies had a fleet of AEC coaches. They were so impressive compared to the old Leylands, Guys, etc that other firms were using. A few (many!) years later, when I got my hands on my first Mercury I was thrilled to find that it was as smooth and quiet as I remembered from the coaches. After a bit of “fiddling” I was just about able to stay with most of the firm’s Mandators. Some years later, I got hold of an Ergo Mercury with the same decent engine and six-speed 'box. Brilliant, so much nicer to work with than the Bedfords, BMC and Albions that I had been used to.