LGV Training, still worth doing?

I’ve got all the categories and I’ve just taken a van driving job similar to what you’re doing now because I couldn’t find any work! There was plenty before Corona though.

I’d say do it, go for it, but as Peter says don’t expect a job for a while as you’ve chosen a bad time. I did in fact get a call from an agency today with the first scrap of HGV work I’ve been offered for months which was dustcart driving. If I didn’t accept the van driving job I’d have taken it.
Perhaps it’s a sign that the jobs are coming back, for a new guy to the agency to be offered any work at all.

It’s still pretty bleak at the moment and it’s hard to say how long things will be bad for. But if you do your licences soon then it’ll be sooner that you meet the condition for the “1 year licence held” requirement that some employers need for insurance and at least you’ll be ready to go when jobs do come up.

It’s essential you have a backup plan as a job is by no means guaranteed, especially one that will work around your availability.
I have seen some agencies saying “don’t ring us unless you’re totally flexible with your hours as we cannot accomodate only day work, only night work etc requirements at the moment” - they are only interested in people who can and will work any shifts, any hours, and they can afford to be in this climate.

PS I’m not being picky but I think you’re using LGV to mean Class 2/Rigid and HGV to mean Class 1/Artic which isn’t correct