LGV Training, still worth doing?

Completely new, so bear with me!

I’ve been a delivery driver with Iceland for ten weeks, we drive automatic Sprinters. I’ve taken to it and enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.
Normally I work as a freelance training course tutor, but it’ll be a while before that gets back to normal and in any case it was only a couple of days each week, and now that my daughter is older I’d like to work more days.

We were quite thrown in at the deep end and weren’t able to do our basic training - I was recruited because I owned a Movano a few years ago and I managed to reverse into the loading bay at my interview without disgracing myself :laughing:
We have up to 13 drops on a slot, and the loading, drops and unloading has to be completed within two hours - apparently that’s a high workload for a supermarket driver, but I’ve managed to keep up.

So I’m thinking about upskilling to LGV, as I would like to be able to take odd days (up to three days at a time) of work. I remember our local recruitment agency used to require LGV drivers for ad hoc work quite frequently, but does this sort of thing even still exist anymore? Would I be chucking money at something that probably won’t recoup its investment?

I don’t think I have enough faith in my reversing abilities for HGV, and that appears to be more of a full career choice than something I’d do alongside my day job.

I’m in West Sussex.

Thanks in anticipation.

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

These are strange times - as I’m sure you’ve noticed! As a rule, dont rely on agencies; their work can be very spasmodic. As a result, they get a bad name - not always deserved.

No-one can tell you how much agency work will be around in a few weeks or months.

My current advice for those considering training is to only go for it if you dont need an immediate return on your investment. And it is investment - not just spending. The only time I would think it’s fair to go into debt for training is if you have a firm job offer. Apart from that, please dont go into debt.

As I said, these are strange times and so everybody needs to get on with their lives with a degree of caution.

But, if you decide to go for it, I will just mention that many folks travel a lot further than you to come and train with us on a residential course. More details, simply pm me or call our office 01623 555661. No extra cost for residential and you still get your Trucknet user discount. Win, win!

Whatever you decide, take care.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve got all the categories and I’ve just taken a van driving job similar to what you’re doing now because I couldn’t find any work! There was plenty before Corona though.

I’d say do it, go for it, but as Peter says don’t expect a job for a while as you’ve chosen a bad time. I did in fact get a call from an agency today with the first scrap of HGV work I’ve been offered for months which was dustcart driving. If I didn’t accept the van driving job I’d have taken it.
Perhaps it’s a sign that the jobs are coming back, for a new guy to the agency to be offered any work at all.

It’s still pretty bleak at the moment and it’s hard to say how long things will be bad for. But if you do your licences soon then it’ll be sooner that you meet the condition for the “1 year licence held” requirement that some employers need for insurance and at least you’ll be ready to go when jobs do come up.

It’s essential you have a backup plan as a job is by no means guaranteed, especially one that will work around your availability.
I have seen some agencies saying “don’t ring us unless you’re totally flexible with your hours as we cannot accomodate only day work, only night work etc requirements at the moment” - they are only interested in people who can and will work any shifts, any hours, and they can afford to be in this climate.

PS I’m not being picky but I think you’re using LGV to mean Class 2/Rigid and HGV to mean Class 1/Artic which isn’t correct