Peak District.

While cleaning a drawer out this week I came across this time sheet of mine from my Tilcon days at Ballidon quarry. Why I kept it I haven’t a clue, it has the weekly wash on it and my visits to the wash bay were very few and far between, and usually initiated by our TM who was disgusted with the state of my truck! :blush:

Anyway it shows the pay scheme we were on, a very good one and why there was a waiting list for prospective drivers. Loading time etc was paid at rate and a half. When the tipper side was sold off our TM took the few remaining tippers over and was obliged to keep the same pay structure, alas with a lot of the work being very low rated (as Malmic can confirm) he struggled to do that and things did change. The Lichfield’s would have been to Bison Flooring at Dovehouse Fields, a poorly rated job but they did have several hundred tonnes of 10mm daily so a good payer for the quarry but not for the haulage. One chap did three loads there daily for over twenty years. Dudley was a regular run for a while with black to Lister Road council depot, we usually loaded around 5.20 am so missed most of the traffic. I’m guessing there wasn’t much work on as I was set on feeding the then new tar plant at Pinvin village near Pershore, a strange plant as it was all under cover and looked just like a warehouse with a chimney poking through the roof because it was almost on a housing estate. :wink:

For Hulland, and back loads of granite from Mancetter quarry near Atherstone, we were paid a sum of cash, that changed later to mileage and loading time so the lads doing six loads a day to Hulland had eight hours pay just for for loading without any driving time! :laughing: They kept going while some of us were standing when work was slack, and some were on that run again for twenty+ years. Happy times, with good tackle, but we didn’t appreciate back then just how good it was of course! :unamused:

Pete.