owner driving

Seem to remember the TC wants to see the TM doing about 15hrs per week. Not sure why, cause one truck doesn’t take that long to administer! But its worth allowing for that in the business plan which you should submit to both the TC and the Vat man. (Vat man came back to me 3 times with loads of strange questions — but didn’t say another word when I let them have a 15 page plan with loads of numbers and market research).

Whatever the amount of finance is now required by the TC, this should be available after you have allowed for buying/financing the truck, insurance, running costs etc. You need to keep the TC money available at all times (some say they will take into account credit facilities and accounts receivable — but don’t bet on it!). So your cash flow forecast should be showing the TC money is always to hand.

If you’re going as a sole trader, then you can show your savings accounts and the like to satisfy the financial requirement. BUT (big but in my view) you’re better off loaning money from personal accounts to the business and keeping totally separate records — a lot easier to see how the venture is performing.

There are loads of posts on here that you should take a look at before filling in the forms.