Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

GlesgaBill:
Hi Dave…i answered your thread putting on a shirt, eating boiled egg & toast and halfway out the door this morning…apologies! :smiley:

Cheers for that Bill. I thought it was something like that. I’d noticed the time of your post and thought “he’s on his way to work.” Not a bad guess :sunglasses:

GlesgaBill:
What you replied in your thread was my understanding & might i add, that of my ADR instructor (i’m halfway through my course just now) so i reckoned the guy was a bit of a blowhard to start with.

I think that proves that the guy in the yard either doesn’t have ADR, or he didn’t listen. (I can’t think of a third option :wink: )

GlesgaBill:
I also told a guy who works in our office (with haz packages etc) about what he said his reply was “He’s a balloon…he has his own set of rules in his head until we keep him right”

Now you can see why one works in the office and the other works in the yard. :wink:

GlesgaBill:
It has learned me not to listen to “the bloke in the yard” and taught me that finding out the info required from the proper channels is always the best & correct course of action-and in this instance, many thanks go to you Dave for providing the proper insight.

Hey, no probs Bill. That’s what I do. Are you doing your ADR at Ritchies??

GlesgaBill:
Having said all that, can i safely assume the following?-

1. Limited quantities are alive and well

Yes, with a full description and pics above. (Your instructor probably won’t have time to go into as much detail as I did above.) Please remember that LQs are nothing to do with the load limits for the transport categories. In fact, if you have a mixed load of LQs and other stuff, you can ignore the LQ stuff altogether, because it just doesn’t count towards any load total.

GlesgaBill:
2. The 1000kg, 333 Kg and 20 Kg load limit still apply (ps…does ppe, spill kits etc apply here?)

Yes, but there are five limits in total: 0, 20, 333, 1,000 and unlimited. Those are the five transport categories (TCs.) Once you’re carrying more than the limit for the type of goods you’re carrying, then ADR applies in full, so those are the limits for: orange boards, ADR licence, Instructions in writing, spill kit, 2 extinguishers, PPE, chock, torch, self-standing warning signs and Hi-viz etc.

All the Regs you heard about on Monday (IATA, IMDG ADR and RID) use Packing Groups (PGs) to express the danger presented by the goods. ADR (only) extends this idea into the 5 TCs I mentioned. That way, the most dangerous goods are fully regulated instantly, then there are bigger limits as the danger decreases. The law is very clear that it is your always your boss’ responsibility to tell you when the Regs apply.

GlesgaBill:
3. Anything above those limits require full ADR, VTC PPE Etc
Many thanks for sharing your knowledge! :slight_smile:

That’s it Bill, you’ve got it. :wink: Nice one mate.

GlesgaBill :slight_smile:

GlesgaBill:
pps…i never saw that blowhard guy today…i think he’s probably too hard headed to listen to anything other than his interpretation…

I’ve got nothing against the “guy”, but I’d suggest you ignore his opinions on ADR. I’m convinced that your own ideas will be nearer reality!! :wink: Let me know how you got on in the exams?? The way it’s running, you’ll know in about 3-4 weeks.