Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

GlesgaBill:
I have a question-

Were there any changes to the CDG Regs in Jan 07?

A guy in my work says that since then, there are no “limited quantities” and that if you are carrying anything (even items under 333kg etc etc) that they must have full ADR, plates spill kits etc.

Basically he’s saying that you’re either ADR or not, with no exemptions.

Is he right? :question: :unamused:

Hi GlesgaBill, I’m afraid your guy has got it all wrong.
Ask him for the source of his info, meanwhile I’ll guarantee that it isn’t CDG 2007. :wink:
CDG 2007 contains 95 Regulations and 9 Schedules, but not a great deal has actually changed for drivers.
Your company is required to inform you of any changes that affect their operations, and your DGSA is supposed to see to it that that happens.
The notion of Limited Quantities (LQs) is described above in my answer to MrFlibble (please read that) and the load limits per vehicle are described above in my answers to 8-wheels, MrFlibble and Jon Lad.

Just to clarify this even further, LQs require no action from the driver – No orange plates, no spill kit, no ADR licence— full load?? just load and go— no question about it. The whole idea of LQs is that for SOME dangerous goods that actually present only a small danger, there is a way to carry them without being affected by the Regs. The best way to think of this idea is that it is a limited quantity per package. If that’s complied with, then there’s no load limit. If the LQ exemptions apply to the load you’re carrying, the boxes will be marked as in the pictures above.

When the “stuff” ISN’T packed in LQs, there are limits of either 0kg/lit, or 20kg/lit, or 333kg/lit or 1,000kg/lit depending on how dangerous the “stuff” is. If you’re loaded to below the appropriate limit for the “stuff” that you’re carrying, then all you need is an “awarenes” of dangerous goods and a 2Kg dry powder fire extinguisher if it’s a UK job. If your load exceeds these freebie limits, then ADR applies in full and everything you described would then be required plus some other requirements depending on which “stuff” you’re carrying.

Just to clarify even further, there is NO connection between LQs and the idea of load limits before the Regs apply in full.

If the answer to your question isn’t clear from carefully reading the above and looking at the pictures, please find out the UN number and name of the substance, the class and the packing group. The size and type of package(s) would also help. Then I’ll be able to give you a good and full answer. Please let me know whether this answers your question??