GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:
It’s obvious that it’s referring to a non standard retro fitted motor.If you look at the wording of the same seller’s other ads it’s clear that they are using the word literally either in the case of body types or in this case a retro fitted motor.Their other vehicle ads don’t use the word fitted when describing engine types.

I’ve been agreeing with much of your recent imput CF and I think we sing on the same page as regards dealer-modified supplied new lorries. However, with regard to that advert, my initial reaction was the same as yours: Ah! the word ‘fitted’ implies re-fitted. But the language of the day, if you remember, was just that: we all referred to lorries being ‘fitted’ with a 240 / V8 / Turbo-diesel or whatever. You only have to look at the small-ads for cars or lorries of that period to know that the clerk who entered the advert would have used the common parlance of the day. ‘Fitted’ could equally mean ‘factory-fitted new’, ‘retro-fitted new’ or even ‘fitted 15 years later’! Just a semantic point, dear boy! :smiley:

I was only around the used car scene at that time.But I only recognise ‘fitted’ as meaning not as it left the factory gate/factory fit option.So Rover 2000 or 3500 V8 auto/manual. Triumph 2000 or 2.5 pas auto/manual/manual o/d.Jag Mk2/S-type 3.4 or 3.8 or 4.2 auto/manaul/o/d .The word fitted was never used to describe engine type or factory fit options.

But if you saw an advert Ford Zodiac fitted, ( meaning ‘retrospectively’ ‘fitted’ ‘with’ because words cost money ), 289 or 302 V8, then the phone would be permanently engaged and when you did eventually get through the seller would say sorry its sold if only I had 3 or 4 more like it to sell.

While by your logic surely wouldn’t every other truck advertised by the same seller also be expected to say fitted together with their respective engine types which they clearly don’t again because words cost money ?.

IE Why would they want to spend the extra ad money on a needless discriptor.Obviously because the vehicle is ‘fitted’ with a different ‘type’ of engine than it left the factory with.

Or in the case of body type left the factory with no body type at all.

It would be interesting to find out if the 240 Gardner was still considered as such a good bet at that point in time as opposed to when it was fitted.Or maybe like me by then many might have said the worst of all worlds old heap of junk with a big NA boat anchor fitted in it for good measure and not even worth putting a turbo ■■■■■■■ in it now.Put the cash into something better. :wink: