GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

windrush:

harry_gill:

Carryfast:

harry_gill:
Bet none of the ■■■■■■■ engined Big J drivers asked for a Gardner swap
I’d set myself away tramping until the gaffers saw sense.

To be fair the maths say the choice would have been a no brainer in terms of fuel consumption, output, and maintenance costs v NA ■■■■■■■■

Hiya,
Ah’ yes C/F, but you’ve got your hauliers hat on here, now put your hired
hands hat on now and would you give a monkey’s about fuel consumption
and would you be happier driving something that would pull better and
keep you warm and not spend most of your working day choking on those
awful Gardner fumes invisible in the cab yes but in the cab yes. They was
a true gaffers motor, give me a ■■■■■■■ or a Roller anytime.

Blimey Harry, you must have had some rough old motors to drive if fumes were getting in the cab? :open_mouth: :laughing: My Sed Ak with a Gardner 201 never let any fumes in, well apart from when the engine kicked in backwards on Ashbourne market place and the exhaust smoke came into the cab through the air filter behind my open window!! :wink: Gardner/Rolls or ■■■■■■■■ they all ran about the same speed on the level as the engine rpm’s were about the same (unless the ‘pump doctor’ had been in with the carving knife!) but admittedly the Gardner would slow down a little on hills compared to the others. I bet the 8LXB’s pulled almost as well as the ■■■■■■■ though? I did like my Gardner time though, but like you the Rolls I had later performed a little better. I had two ■■■■■■■ L10’s as well but you had to keep them ‘on the boil’ or they were not that brilliant.

Pete.

For the best part of 2 years,I drove a B series ERF for SoM with the big Percy on night trunk,a great reliable and trouble free motor,apart from servicing never had a spanner on it,and with a good heater too!

David