GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

Carryfast:

pete smith:
Here is said advert Dan which Dave the Renegade posted a few years ago,

It’s obvious that it’s referring to a non standard retro fitted motor.If you look at the wording of the same seller’s other ads it’s clear that they are using the word literally either in the case of body types or in this case a retro fitted motor.Their other vehicle ads don’t use the word fitted when describing engine types.

I’ve been agreeing with much of your recent imput CF and I think we sing on the same page as regards dealer-modified supplied new lorries. However, with regard to that advert, my initial reaction was the same as yours: Ah! the word ‘fitted’ implies re-fitted. But the language of the day, if you remember, was just that: we all referred to lorries being ‘fitted’ with a 240 / V8 / Turbo-diesel or whatever. You only have to look at the small-ads for cars or lorries of that period to know that the clerk who entered the advert would have used the common parlance of the day. ‘Fitted’ could equally mean ‘factory-fitted new’, ‘retro-fitted new’ or even ‘fitted 15 years later’! Just a semantic point, dear boy! :smiley: