GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

Punchy Dan:
I’ve got some magazines from the 70’s ( not ■■■■ ) :laughing: mainly Truck but no commercial motors sadly, Can the commercial motor archive be searched online for a second Hand sale add of said big j ?

Here is said advert Dan which Dave the Renegade posted a few years ago, I have a book at home detailing all the M A Evans fleet over the years and that is where I got the info from a few pages back regarding the vehicle being new to a Scottish Oil company, bought by Roy Evans from Chaddesley Commercials and sent to Longton Coachcraft to have the sleeper conversion.
Just a thought, Bewick ran 240 Gardners in their Atki’s and ERF’s alongside some Big J’s, so if these 8 pot Big J’s was available wouldn’t Dennis have given one a try?
I think there was a few made to keep Guy motors big fleet users happy, hence Smith’s of Maddison drivers comments, but the biggest user of Guy Big J’s on the factory’s doorstep was R Hampton who worked out of Patent Shaft, I would have thought that they would have got “given” one to trial? It has been mentioned that M A Evans showed Hamptons their 8 pot big J and Hampton’s was unaware of it’s existence.
Dennis,
Please pop down to your barn and get a photo of the rear 2 pots, don’t matter which one of the 39 you photograph!