Ernest jones and sons,pudsey.corn millers

Ernest Jones was set up by my great grand father William Jones. He called it Ernest Jones because he thought it sounded better apparently ha ha.

Here is an image of his son (my grandfather( Jack Jones and his team. Jack is the guy on the right of the picture. Jack Jones went on to run it throughout his adult life. The family lived at Alder House in Pudsey where my father and his sister were both brought up.

You Must Be Christopher’s son

And Have You Any More Photos Please,it Be Great To See Them If You Have, regards Graham

Hi there, I took my HGV test at Bradford Hauliers Training Group Thornton Rd Bradford in 1972. the guy who taught me was something to do with Ernest Jones Pudsey can’t remember if he was brother, son, cousin but he seemed to know a lot about Ernest Jones. I can’t remember his first name.
Cheers

fodens20:
Hi there, I took my HGV test at Bradford Hauliers Training Group Thornton Rd Bradford in 1972. the guy who taught me was something to do with Ernest Jones Pudsey can’t remember if he was brother, son, cousin but he seemed to know a lot about Ernest Jones. I can’t remember his first name.
Cheers

Thanks your reply,I can’t recall any of the family having anything to do with driver training,thanks

Hi Big Gee i have to ask you are not the same Big Gee that worked for Wilsons Bradford.
Cheers Dave.

YOUNGDAVE:
Hi Big Gee i have to ask you are not the same Big Gee that worked for Wilsons Bradford.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave,no I never worked at Wilsons,knew Mick and his lads,Graham Bedford and his brother Kevin,Colin and some others.you a bradford lad?

Hi there Big Gee yes i am a Bradford lad i worked at Crows witch was next door to
Wilsons at that time Norman Milburn had Wilsons Big Gee i knew worked for them
a long time,thing is i have forgot his name. We used to run together a few times
some body on this site might be able to help me.
Cheers Dave

does anybody remember ernest jones and sons,pudsey.they were corn millers in occupation lane pudsey.they ran yellow commers and a 6 wheeler aec bulker

do i ever - they delivered corn to my grandfather’s farm from before i was born, even remember jim clegg who was their rep or whatever, came round to collect money etc

unfortunately there was some unpleasant goings on with one of their drivers or mates thieving eggs, and ending up assaulting said grandfather which (older members of my family have said) led indirectly to his demise :frowning:

hi.where was your grandfathers farm,my dad herbert used to drive for them,worked there a lot of years .i used to go with him when i was a young lad.i even worked there myself driving their wagon and using my own. regards graham.

village farm at northowram near halifax - didn’t mean to put a downer on the post yesterday by the way, sorry if it did

hi,am a light haulage contactor in bradford,run a dark red vw lt flatback truck.jones gave me a start when i passed my wagon test back in late 70smight have delivered to your farm.regards graham

g.s.morrall transport:
does anybody remember ernest jones and sons,pudsey.they were corn millers in occupation lane pudsey.they ran yellow commers and a 6 wheeler aec bulker

Hi Graham

I remember them as I used to be a pupil at Waterloo Juniors just over the road. What I remember the most is the sound of their two stroke Commers, what a noise! The AEC always looked clean and tidy, they seemed to own it for quite a number of years.
One other memory whilst at that school was looking over the playground wall at ViaMasters Ford D series, I think it was their first wagon but I stand to be corrected.
I have not seen you round Pudsey recently, are you still in the light haulage game with the smart VW flat back?

hi idletony,thanks for reply.yes i have still got the vw lt,still up an down the country.that commer two stroke sound was unforgettable,my dad drove the six-wheeler from new,then moved on to the aec bulker then to a volvo till he retired.i think your right about viamasters fords they done very well for thenselves,they must have 60 wagons plus.what are you doing these days.regards graham

Great picture Graham, it’s brought the memories flooding back. I didn’t realise your dad drove the Commers & AEC, looking at the load on the Commer I guess the AEC bulker must have felt like easy street!
I did not get into road transport as my dad warned me off it (crap wages, crap hours, crap working conditions!) so ended up doing an engineering apprentiship at Wellman Booth, Rodley (Crane manufacturers). But I have always had a keen interest in the haulage industry and always buy the magazines ect to keep upto date with whats going on.
I would still like to drive a truck even now (people say I must be mad!) but the desire is still there, so who knows maybe in the future?
Your VW is always clean and smart whenever I see it, do you still haul for the company on Leeds Bradford Road? I notice it has changed.
One other thing, I remember a small truck that used to be parked in front of a house on Galloway Lane, It was blue and white and I think it was a Karrier, do you remember it or was it you that owned it?
Cheers, Tony

hi,small world my dad drove for jones for most of his working life.i got my start when i passed my hgv there part time cause i still had my milkround.the bulker was a lot easy than the flats as it loaded itself .the man on galloway lane was sid richardson,he died 3 years since,he was a milkman/haulier.he worked for flenders where i work for who were taken over by siemens,two years since.funny,i worked for sid when i was a school kid then i took over his transport what he did at flenders.!did you go to waterloo infants when i were there,1960s.graham

I started at Waterloo Infants about 1969, then Waterloo Juniors and finally Pudsey Grammer (Grangefield). I also went to the open evenings at both Waterloo schools a few years back before they were pulled down (ahh the memories!)

thats why iam a senoir member,old age again!.saw you pictures about s/a at trans.pennine run,was there myself.regards

brilliant photo graham - what memories that brings back!

couple of our customers buy off flenders so you probably deliver the stuff,
we’re also doing a gearbox out of flender in germany in a couple of weeks - just short of 80 tonne though :smiley: