ERFs with 4MW cabs RHD & LHD

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Didn’t have the budget to hold up European arm did they Ro, it was a choice of letting some of the exports go, and at the time South African CKD, New Zealand, and Middle East orders were worth far more than the Mainland Europe deals, indeed a large export order saved their bacon according to Peter Foden at that time. I always thought it strange that they re entered the European market with the already superseded E series, it was a backward step before even starting, think they really should’ve held out for the LHD & Type Approved EC. The E series was too long in the tooth by that time. But doing what they did by pulling out of the Euro market certainly helped them to survive when a lot of other makers were swallowed up or disappeared altogether, again, no mean feat by the small Brit manufacturer!! Peter Foden was like a dog with a bone, no way he was going to let the firm go, he was a tough business man, a bit blinkered some might say, but he fought and won that battle many times before selling out to Western Star, and he is on record saying that if he knew what would eventually happen to ERF he never would’ve done that deal.
I Love products like the MW/V and NGC though, very much a product of those exciting times when they all wanted a piece of the European Action.

All true. They didn’t do too badly with their ECs in Europe (Spain in Particular) but with those ■■■■■■■ / Eaton set-ups, the writing was on the wall with Euro-6 on the horizon. And you’re right about the good times. At least I won’t lie on my deathbed wishing I’d pulled a tilt with a B-series or a roped and sheet load with a C-series. :sunglasses: