Any old promotor drivers around

brakeboy:
Re early days info i remember there seemed to be a lot of self contained stone crushing equipment going mostly to Yugo about 1975/6. The beds of these machines, they were only 8’ wide and about 40’ long were welded to a subframe with ordinary tandem axle trailer gear attached so in effect became a normal trailer. On arrival in some remote quarry in yugo the subframe was cut off and running gear discarded, the machine grounded and they were away. I wonder if any body remembers the Scania that was in ‘Afro-Camion’ livery, if memory serves a sort of brown and cream job very much on the normal Promotor green and cream. I think Stevie Smith may have driven it for a while.

Morning ‘brakeboy’. I’m sure Tony Grainger will remember the stone crushing equipment going down to Yugo. We did a fair bit to the quarries and Micky Twemlow mentioned in one of his posts the difficulty of getting into one of them. I’ve attached his photo of the overhanging rock that was waiting to take the side out of your tilt. I did one load near Tuzla with a 14 ton Lancer Boss forklift. Cant find the photo though at present though.

You mention Afro Camion and Stevie Smith. I am attaching one of the new photos given to me a couple of days ago by Paul Willis. Paul admits they weren’t necessarily taken by him, just some he acquired. The quality’s not great but it was taken just as the infamous sectional buildings to Riyadh job in 76 started. I posted an article on this job last year. It almost finished Promotor. Still looking for more info on that job if anyone has any.

Promotor 565.jpg

a111.jpg