Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

windrush:

albion1938:

Spardo:

windrush:
Regarding the sheeting/roping of certain lorries can somebody explain please how Whitbread secured theirs as it doesn’t look as though the body sides drop down? Are there rings in the floor, there appears to be something below the floor where the straps are (or are they hinges?) and I have seen various pics of their Leylands and Fodens and all have the same type bodies. Not my pic but copied from the webb.

Pete.

Interesting Pete, especially as it is another brewer, and I wonder what the reasons for the sides are, if they don’t drop, other than for advertising purposes.

Perhaps we will hear from someone who knows. :wink: :slight_smile:

And here I am like a bad penny! I have a special interest in Whitbread group vehicles, father worked for them for years, a good firm to work for. In the book “Whitbread 250 years of brewery transport” there’s a picture of an identical Foden. Edited caption reads:
In the 1950s BRS replaced some of the Scammell R8s on the Whitbread contract with a new fleet of Octopuses and Foden FGs. The Whitbread style of fixed-sided body with internal load fixings is retained and the fitted sheet with its leather straps and buckles for tidiness and the 2" wide webbing security straps are clearly visible.
Bernard

Cheers Bernard, so the straps were built into the sheets then? That made things easier, though heavier to handle I guess.

Pete.

Yes thanks from me too, I can see what looks like buckles on the 8 wheeler, but the 4 wheeler seems to have dollies. If that is the case then they would have had to learn a different style of hitch, unless of course they weren’t ringbolts in the deck, but retractable hooks. :wink: