AEC Mercury

Frankydobo:
Ah yes Tim, old George was a lovely bloke, he told me his Nephew was Alex Glasgow who did the title song of When The Boat Comes In, a popular Tyneside series at the time, learnt some stuff from him too. The two older Apprentices Bob Elliott and Granville Lee, what a pair they used to wind up Arthur (Art’y Laffer) the Manager, something terrible good laugh though. Dougie a nice quiet lad, a Blonde lad called Davy who went off to be a Traffic cop, Jack was a very good Fitter and nice bloke. The Foreman’s name escapes me at the moment, (ah just come back think it was Ian) but he was ok, I remember doing recovery work with him in the old Militant Wrecker, freezing in the winter though. We seemed to have a 50/50 mix of time served fitters and those lads that had done the 6 Month course a lot of Industries were doing at the time given the rather unflattering name of ‘Diluties’ but there were some nice lads amongst them. I enjoyed my time there and learnt some useful technical stuff, for a young lad it was a good place of work. Franky.

Franky, was Ralph Scott at Tillotsons when you were there? He was at Waughs when I went there in 1972, he lived on Benton Rd, just a few yards from Tillotsons.
He was an artist with a big hammer and a bit of heat! Regards Kev.