Leicester's Bygone's

My first encounter with an automatic box was in a rover 3 litre at bardon road garage I was only about 16 and unlicenced at the time . We were putting the better cars to bed one night this one was parked facing the road in front of a curb. Started the bloody thing up on full choke put it into drive and over the grass verge I went stopped it before it entered the A50 . The volvo trucks I delivered in 2018 were all automatics they were great but I dont know what they would be like in the mountains running at 63500 KG gross . There was a fatality a couple of years ago here where a loaded tanker was crawling up a grade spun out rolled backwards out of control over the side .this was on the salmo -creston mountain in south eastern british columbia 17 miles up and 17 miles down…I had to go with another driver once before they let me loose on it.I think the truck in this case was automatic .
Hyundai got off to a bad start in canada with the “pony” they d got better ever since .we bought a elantra new at the end of last year to replace a 17 year old toyota …the wife wanted a hatchback this was several thousands more that a sedan …we love toyota but not with the cvt transmission good for about 5 years .it was either the hyundai or mazda and after the local mazda dealership ripped of my neighbour i avoided them and bought the hyundai. We had a couple of automatic trucks at manteis the last company I worked these were western stars plate for around 45000 kg pulling tridem trailer these were assigned city work only but once a
I had do a short highway trip and they were horrible unpredictable downshifting I was nt impressed. The best comromise I felt was a leyland leopard coach with a semi automatic box I liked them but again in the lower weight range,