The Foden 2 Stroke Engine

windrush:
No new design of engine would have converted ‘stick in the mud’ operators in the fifties/sixties away from tried and proven engines like Gardner and perhaps Leyland (■■■■■■■ were not big here in the fifties/early sixties which is when the Foden 'stroker was being offered in reasonable numbers) as they tended to stick with what they knew and trusted Dennis. I doubt that even makers like Detroit, which were well proven in the USA and other countries, would have made any impact with their products in the UK? You ran a ‘radical engine for the time’ yourself, a ■■■■■■■ V8, and they didn’t have a good reputation either, our local Ford dealership was awash with them having warranty problems and Ford gave up with them in the end.

Pete.

I totally agree with what you say Pete. However I can say that the sole V8 ■■■■■■■ I ran was driven exclusively by me for the length of time I ran it which was circa 3 years and in that time it never put a foot wrong ! I treated it with respect and changed the oil every 2 weeks , filter every second change. I very rarely drove it over 50 mph on the M/ways and it purred away as smooth as a sewing machine ! My first two units were 26 & 28 ton Mastiffs with Perkins V8 as they were all I could s-t-r-e-t-c-h to at that time !! Again I had a very decent Driver on the 26 tonner and I mainly drove the 28 tonner. The Perkins got the same oil changes as the ■■■■■■■ and apart from a fuel starvation problem in the early days of the 28 tonner, which we solved by incorporating an upturned “jam jar” attachment fitted in the “V” which gave the pump a constant head of fuel that was the extent of our problems. I also recall that later on there started to be a slight whiff of burnt oil from the 26 tonner but it was nowt to worry about. Both Perkins also gave faultless service but I would stress they were treated with care ! I finally got to able to purchase the Borderers and sold off the V 8’s which in way could they be classed as front line fleet motors IMHO ! Cheers Dennis.