Leicester's Bygone's

Trevor was my dads mate he drove a sister lorry to my dads aec mark 3 with maudesley plates on it …………he started with a 4 wheeler Leyland comet cab over on with whitwick.the braking was nt air and a 60 mph lorry took a lot of stopping it had a two speed axle he went onto a 4 wheeler foden then onto bigger stuff…there was some business arrangement with emmersons from belton. My dad did a few trips down to brent at night for him…I still remembering him lecturing my dad over the brakes . I think the winter of 63 hit him hard and he went onto coal and scrap later. brent was a gravel dump just off the north circular road where hendon shopping centre stands today…the motorway ended at junction 17…in fact last trip over I was driving down to heathrow to fly back when I encountered a detour on the M1 I was totally lost but followed the first hgv this was at 0400hrs we came out at junction 17 and I travelled down the a5 which I had nt been on since I was a kid still recognised it. In fact one of his decendants now runs a trucking outfit in Austin texas USA I m told. I don’t know what he was like to work for but he was very nice to me and my family when I was young. Newbolds ? are they on a side street in ibstock opposite a pub ? looked like good equipment on bricks .Meanwhile back at the ranch fuel is at a 20 year low here owing to the price of oil falling to the floor ….under 70 cents a litre for regular gas about 10 cents more for diesel and marilyns niece now on a flight from London to Toronto…what a relief !!. Picture one like my dads note the confusing signage after nationalisation
Hu01776-d1.jpg