Leicester's Bygone's

robinswh:
0I ve never pulled triples only the old type of a trains the front axle of the pup is not a converter ……triples are probably easier to turn as they have three fifth wheels…….also if the tractor is a cab over better still…cabovers are few and far between here I ve only driven one in the last 30 years

With fear and trepidation at the thread drift :unamused: , I can see why that particular type of A train is less effective corneringwise. That is because, with the bogie right at the arse end like that, there is no advantage of out swing of the rear of the first trailer to lead the pup in a wider arc and its wheels nearer to the track of the the first trailer.

I once saw a video of a B-double when the driver had lost his way in an urban Australian situation and strayed off the designated road train route. He came to a right angled corner in an ordinary industrial area and could not get the 2nd trailer round. He had to reverse up and park, unhitch the 2nd trailer, go away and drop the semi, return and collect no. 2, take it to where the semi was and then put the whole lot back together again. I know for a fact from what I could see of the available space that an old fashioned A-train with a normal overhang behind the bogie of the semi, could have got around with no trouble. I also base this opinion on my personal experience moving around a tight site at Toray in Nottingham with both artic and drawbar outfits. The latter was much easier, less cut in.

Back to Leicester. Did I ever mention that I was the reluctant shop steward of Econofreight at Markfield during the great big useless strike of '79? Still desperately searching for Bygone qualification. :blush: :laughing: