Manual or auto, which do you prefer?

I passed my class 2 a month ago with PSTT in an auto iveco eurocargo. I was happy to have an auto for the test - one less thing to think about and go wrong during the test, but i remember thinking i disliked using the autobox, a couple of seconds delay when moving off, being in the wrong gear at times (in my opinion they want to go too high too soon), and occasionally the box getting confused leaving you without a gear for a few seconds. But an easy drive. Perfect for learning and testing in.

This past couple of weeks i have been driving for a company that has a range of vehicles of which i have driven all of them.

An older model eurocargo, but with a manual box, my god the difference was night and day, i was in control, correct gear when i want it, no delays. A much more pleasant experience.

A similar eurocargo to PSTT, gah i found myself almost shouting at the gearbox at times, often manually changing down on gradients where the box insisted on being in 6th gear with my foot to the floor and speed dropping, and smoothly reversing fully laden up a gradient? total lack of control, no creep.

12m long 18 ton DAF CF with a 6 speed manual, initially i was a bit nervous with this, going from a 7.5m truck to a 12m truck (apparently this is longer than most 18 tonners?) once i got used to the box, letting it slip in when ready, it was a pleasure to use, smooth reversing capabilities, no delays, just proper control. (took me a while to figure out the air seat, i was either sat in the ceiling, legs dangling, and legs crushed by steering wheel, or bottomed out with no air!)

Out of various other drivers i’ve spoken to, i’m the odd one out in preferring manuals, am i weird haha!

Maybe i’m a ‘driver’ rather than a ‘point and steerer’? maybe my opinion will change when i use a 4 over 4 with a splitter or similar, maybe i’m still young and happy to row through the gears?

What would you go for if you had the choice?

Auto every time.

Autos…, used most manual boxes in the past, nowt to prove anymore, lost a lot of interest, so anything for an easy life. :sunglasses:
Simply couldn’t be arsed anymore actually ‘driving’ a motor, judging revs, double de.clutching, splitting and range changing and all the rest of it… much easier being a steerer than a driver. :smiley:

I chose a manual when they were spec’ing ‘my’ lorry so I got a 4 over 4 splitter ‘box’d TGX MAN, one of, if not the last one they sold in 2018. Some or most think I’m mad wanting to change gear myself rather than letting the truck do it for me but I love it and will be gutted when they eventually replace it.

Auto. Stuff all the gearchanging and clutching nonsense in rush hour traffic.

Having used both, Auto every time, sit in traffic and just go, sod up down on the clutch, Hi–Lo, split…

And you only have two feet…

Do a lot of London driving so Auto all the way for me.

You see!?!?! Even the old’er’ hands that grew up with manuals think I’m mad. Maybe I am or is it because I’m a control freak? I don’t know. I just can’t stand mechanical things that have a mind of their own and don’t do as I instruct instantly. I do deliver to building sites so spend a lot of time on back roads and having to do tricky reverses as well as getting stuck in mud. All of which autos seem to really struggle with. My last job was a brief stint on fridges where I had a new auto actros. I never felt the need for it to be manual doing that job so I guess it’s horses for courses.

nomiS36:
You see!?!?! Even the old’er’ hands that grew up with manuals think I’m mad. Maybe I am or is it because I’m a control freak? I don’t know. I just can’t stand mechanical things that have a mind of their own and don’t do as I instruct instantly. I do deliver to building sites so spend a lot of time on back roads and having to do tricky reverses as well as getting stuck in mud. All of which autos seem to really struggle with. My last job was a brief stint on fridges where I had a new auto actros. I never felt the need for it to be manual doing that job so I guess it’s horses for courses.

Spent the last 4 years steering an auto 26ton rigid down country lanes and the centre of London to building sites, farms, factories you name it. Maybe you should learn to steer before claiming to be a driver [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:

nomiS36:

Spent the last 4 years steering an auto 26ton rigid down country lanes and the centre of London to building sites, farms, factories you name it. Maybe you should learn to steer before claiming to be a driver [emoji848]

Aimed at the op as well.

wrighty1:

nomiS36:

Where did I claim to be a driver? Anyway, I am a driver, erm, because I drive■■? [emoji849]

wrighty1:

wrighty1:

nomiS36:

Aimed at the op as well.

What exactly are you insinuating? I think I know but want you to actually say it.

nomiS36:

wrighty1:

wrighty1:

nomiS36:

Aimed at the op as well.

What exactly are you insinuating? I think I know but want you to actually say it.

Not insinuating anything pal to be honest I quoted the wrong one as it was aimed mainly at the original poster thinking he is a driver rather than a steerer. Think what you want really it’s just the internet so no great shakes [emoji6]

auto.
you only have 2 feet,so theres no need for 3 pedals.
ive done the lot and also nothing to prove and there is great satisfaction from “proper driving in a proper truck” albeit as a trip down memory lane.
gridlock uk means auto till you get bored,then try swapping feet for a while and see how quickly your attention levels somewhat change when you run up someones jacksie or smack yourself off the windscreen.
nobody winds up windows anymore or locks each door separately ,nor do we get up to turn the telly off…mod cons creep in unseen and unnoticed till they break then all of a sudden its a disaster.

If i ever had the choice again, manual, moot point these days, no hope of getting a manual where i work even if the maker offered the option, if i was daft enough to buy my own motor it would be manual, probably a Daf because they still offer a proper gearbox option, Volvo and Scania manual boxes haven’t been a decent drive for decades anyway.

However, apart from Daf’s (which default to eco unless programmed out by operator’s request) most autos have the option of manual selecting, and depending on make you can still have quite an influence on the drive, particularly where traction is difficult by using the other various functions such as switching off ASR/TC, transferring axle loadings etc.
It’s still worth getting the best out of your vehicle, course for those no longer interested that’s fair enough, but buggered if i’d be doing the job any more if it got me like that.

The first time I drove an auto I hated it because it was rubbish. Reversing was a nightmare and it had a nasty habit of dropping into neutral at odd moments.

The second one wasn’t much better (an Actros - need I say more) also with the dropping out of gear habit, especially when pulling out onto roundabouts.

At that time I mostly drove MANs with twin splitters and took a pride in getting it right, but when I was given an auto MAN, I was converted. It was fairly new and still had the manual in the glove box which had good advice on how to get the best from it.

I have driven automatic cars for decades but trucks need a different technique and just as with the twin splitter, I wanted to master it.

We have a mix of manuals and autos.

If i get given a manual at the start of the day i think yes some actual driving to do, then by the end of the day im give me an auto back tomorrow - i just cant be bothered anymore especially in stop start traffic

Auto every time , it helps me have full attention on the DVD playing on my lap top :sunglasses:

I learnt in an auto for Class2 and Class1.
Started my first job, opened the drivers door and there it was…a gearstick (4over4).
I go to that London too and have to confess that I do prefer a manual 'box.

Tippers give me a Scania manual over any automatic