Any old promotor drivers around

As I’ve mentioned a number of times the ‘Baghdad International Trade Fair’ was one of the biggest exhibitions we serviced. The freight aspect of the operation was the most important element of the ‘Full Service Package’ we offered to the exhibiting companies and we worked hard to maintain our reputation. It wasn’t a case of just transporting the exhibits. Customs clearance in the fairground had to be undertaken, exhibits had to be unpacked, heavy items had to be positioned on the stands and empty cases taken to storage. Of course at the close of the Fair everything had to be done in reverse.

But things don’t always go as planned and sometimes egg has to be wiped off one’s face and a bit of grovelling and humility shown. However, its much harder to stomach when the problem is completely out of your hands but you know you’re the ones that are going to get it in the neck at the end of the day.

One such incident happened early to mid 80’s and of course it had to involve one of the Uk’s biggest businesses, GEC/BICC, who were after a lucrative railway signalling contract in Iraq. We had the job of transporting the exhibits to Baghdad but on this occasion we couldn’t get them on to our last outbound trailer as there wasn’t room. The consignment was in the region of 4m3 and so we approached Jazzandy who had room on a trailer heading to Iraq and the job was handed over to him. We would still do the onsite work at the fair though. By now you may have guessed the opening ceremony of the ‘Baghdad Trade Fair’ came and went with no sign of the GEC/BICC exhibits. I am sure at this point we will hear from the little fella ‘Jazzandy’ who will give his version of events but I shall continue with my recollections as I remember them.

As was blatantly clear by mid afternoon on the opening day the lorry with the GEC/BICC exhibits on board was not going to arrive. Andy, together with our joint agent Saeed Hadi set out to find it. The thought being that it may have been held up at the border. They headed north and just before Mosul found the lorry parked up and the driver about to get his head down for the night. After a few words the driver was told if he wanted any more work from any freight forwarder back in the UK (Andy knew a lot of people) he better get out of his bunk and get his a-se in gear immediately. Needless to say he registered at Fallujah first thing next morning and was at the fairground by midday.

At one o’clock, the start of the afternoon break, Chic Steadman, myself and the boss, Peter Calderwood were all in attendance. We had the lorry parked up near the British Pavilion, offloaded the consignment, sorted out the customs, unpacked the exhibits and erected them on the GEC/BICC stand. We had the two Yugo standfitters, who were there to look after the stands, give us a hand and to wire in the power. By four o’clock, as the evening session started we cleared away the last of the crates and rubbish. Job done.