The humble Ford D series

windrush:
Well to be honest while working for a BMC dealership we never had a lot of trouble with the Perkins V8 in Mastiffs? A few burned oil from new but modified liners cured that, and many did 100,000 miles without anything major. They were mostly in 16 tonne gross tippers though. By a strange quirk of fete the designer of the Perkins V8 became a member of the Volkswagen camping club I was a committee member of and he was a lovely chap! :slight_smile:

Pete.

Well Pete as you say the Perkins V8 was a reliable motor.As you know Ford fitted them with Ford written on the rocker covers and if my memory serves me right there were a few mods that Ford had to their engines.I used to find them a bit " not nice to drive when unladen certainly as a chassis cab as the bounced a bit and your right foot went with the bounce".I fetched a 6 wheeler from Aberdean to Derby during the building of the motorways.Sold it to Charlie Harrision at Yeaveley.David Used to moan about it and even had a sign on the back saying what a poor motor and service.He did buy a 2424 afterwards though.Charlie was one of the best and had a 1614 tipper on grains but it had to pass under Moor Street Bridge in Burton which it did when unladen.When I collected the motor from Aberdeen I had to go to a local Shell station to fill up the 40 gal tank,it was at the time when Shell were giving away glasses.The bloke there couldn’t believe he’d sold that much fuel and gave me more glasess.( still got some for cleaning brushes out.)Oh dear going on again as usual but the name Eddie Stobart comes into mind now and that’s another story Re the engines,we never had any bother with the ■■■■■■■ and a lot of the trouble was not serviced propaly particularly the water filter.The Perkins was used in many motors and the fire service used many of them.here is a photo of David amongts others that I have put on various Truck Net and Facebook sites.

Tony