Unrecognized motor

A very early picture of James Smith on his coal delivery round,whilst I recognize James(arms folded) I cannot seem to put a makers name to his motor.

5thwheel:
A very early picture of James Smith on his coal delivery round,whilst I recognize James(arms folded) I cannot seem to put a makers name to his motor.

A shot in the dark here , could it be a REO Speedwagon ?

Bedford bought secondhand at a Glasgow market for £75 in 1931.
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … o-ordinary
Oily

That didn’t take long,thanks both for your inputs,I thought it was earlier than 1931,but what do I know!

David

oiltreader:
Oily

Thanks too Oily for the CM link,provided an interesting history reading.

David

5thwheel:

Great old shot there David ! Obviously I was never in the same league as J & A but I did have two things in common with them 1) Same name! 2) I knew exactly what it was like to start at the very bottom and all the difficulties that it entailed ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Great old shot there David ! Obviously I was never in the same league as J & A but I did have two things in common with them 1) Same name! 2) I knew exactly what it was like to start at the very bottom and all the difficulties that it entailed ! Cheers Dennis.

When you look back Dennis,it seems harder than it appeared at the time,you just got on with it,and if you came out the other side,all well and good,if not you just picked yourself up and tried again!

David

5thwheel:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

When you look back Dennis,it seems harder than it appeared at the time,you just got on with it,and if you came out the other side,all well and good,if not you just picked yourself up and tried again!

David

Aye David it was extremely hard to get going as an O/D but over 50 years ago you just got on and got stuck in, day and night eh! been there got a bag full of “T” shirts to prove it !! This shot was taken in early afternoon in '69 parked outside J T Leyland’s little warehouse on Shap road Kendal, 22 years old loaded with Libbys Rice and Milk for Sainsbury’s Stamford St.DC. Happy days ! I would have kicked off that night at around midnight so as to be at Sainsbury’s at 6/7 a.m. get tipped and then probably, often, would have been sent to Covent Garden by J & W Watt’s to load for A.E.Docker Ltd Barrow-in Furness which then meant by the time I was loaded and back at Watts London Colney mid/later afternoon I’d been running for 16/17 hours or so ! Then I had to be in Barrow by 4 a.m. next morning stood outside their warehouse. So it was another gruella only punctuated by a couple of cat naps on the way.
But sometimes it didn’t end there as when I had finally got to bed about midday my Mam would wake me at 2 pm to say Libbys have rung to ask if I could load this afternoon for , usually, Sainsbury’s and maybe a couple of pallets for a Cash & Carry ! I kid you not I have been loading in Libbys and been absolutely dead on my feet, falling asleep ! How I never smashed that D1000 up in the first 18 moths I’ll never know but I earned enough to aquire a second “A” licence and to put a new Mastiif 26 ton Artic on the road ! Cheeres Dennis

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

David

Aye David it was extremely hard to get going as an O/D but over 50 years ago you just got on and got stuck in, day and night eh! been there got a bag full of “T” shirts to prove it !! This shot was taken in early afternoon in '69 parked outside J T Leyland’s little warehouse on Shap road Kendal, 22 years old loaded with Libbys Rice and Milk for Sainsbury’s Stamford St.DC. Happy days ! I would have kicked off that night at around midnight so as to be at Sainsbury’s at 6/7 a.m. get tipped and then probably, often, would have been sent to Covent Garden by J & W Watt’s to load for A.E.Docker Ltd Barrow-in Furness which then meant by the time I was loaded and back at Watts London Colney mid/later afternoon I’d been running for 16/17 hours or so ! Then I had to be in Barrow by 4 a.m. next morning stood outside their warehouse. So it was another gruella only punctuated by a couple of cat naps on the way.
But sometimes it didn’t end there as when I had finally got to bed about midday my Mam would wake me at 2 pm to say Libbys have rung to ask if I could load this afternoon for , usually, Sainsbury’s and maybe a couple of pallets for a Cash & Carry ! I kid you not I have been loading in Libbys and been absolutely dead on my feet, falling asleep ! How I never smashed that D1000 up in the first 18 moths I’ll never know but I earned enough to aquire a second “A” licence and to put a new Mastiif 26 ton Artic on the road ! Cheeres Dennis

Well said Dennis.

David

Whats this motor then chaps… :unamused:

unkown.PNG

DEANB:

A bit of an ugly duckling Dean,my best guess would be Thorneycroft?

David

DEANB:

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Unrecognized Motor ,Page 1 .Leap Year Day :slight_smile: Saturday,29th February,2020.

VALKYRIE.

Tank Transporter In Development.

The impressive lorry in the photograph,QV below,was designed and developed from 1947 to 1951 by
Leyland Motors for and on behalf of the then War Office=WO-WD=War Department,later renamed the
MOD=Ministry Of Defence.Certain members of the British Motor Industry were under contract to the
WO to produce a range of new Post War military vehicles to standardized designs from jeep-type cars
to tank transporters,and all were to be powered by petrol engines…ideally the Rolls-Royce B-Type
OHI-SVE 4,6 and 8-cylinder petrol engine range.
But in reality,although some standardized designs,some of which had Rolls-Royce petrol engines,entered
military service,the majority were commercial designs,some of which had diesel-oil engines and others
had petrol engines that were not made by Rolls-Royce.

By the way,I have often wondered why the British military insisted on petrol engines. Although British
power was waning the British still had military outposts in many parts of the world in the 1940s,1950s,1960s
and 1970s.From a logistical point of view petrol was probably easier to obtain than diesel in many of
these outposts.Petrol was also cheap and plentiful in all parts of the world in those days,while diesel was
probably harder to get in certain areas of the world,because the diesel engine was still in its infancy in
those areas. The British government had a healthy military spending budget,so could afford to run a
large fleet of petrol motor vehicles and it made sense from a logistical and tactical point of view :slight_smile:

Well,that’s my take on it :slight_smile:

Anyway,back to the Leyland lorry in the photograph:-

Leyland FV1003 60-Ton 6x6 Tractive Unit,FV3301 Semi-Trailer,Articulated Tank Transporter Lorry.
Rover Meteorite Mk202A,Petrol Injection,Watercooled,18,012cc,SOHC per bank,60 degree V8,
498 bhp,1035 LBS,FT Torque,Petrol-Engine.

560mm Hydraulic Coupling and Friction Clutch.

Leyland 5-Speed 1 Reverse Gearbox.

Servo-Assisted 3-Speed Transfer Gearbox.

Drive went via propeller shafts to the front driving axle and bevel and spur reduction gears to the rear walking beams,inside of which spur gears drove the axles. This transmission system was basically similar
to that of the Scammell Pioneer,as was the big transverse leaf spring suspension on the centrally
pivoted front driving axle! :exclamation: :slight_smile:

There was no rear suspension as such:The centrally pivoted walking beams were limited
to a 305mm up and down movement,and were fitted with bump stops that limited this movement.

Brakes were air.

It had hydraulic power assisted steering.

This Leyland,which was the FV1000 Series project,eventually became the FV1003,
and was tested at the FVRDE=Fighting Vehicles Research & Development Establishment at Chertsey

• and indeed,where it was designed! :exclamation: :slight_smile:
    But alas! :exclamation: This Leyland proved to be too costly,too heavy and didn’t meet the mobility requirements.
    Therefore it was dropped in late 1951 - officially announced by the War Office in March 1955 :exclamation: :slight_smile:
    Meanwhile,also in 1951,the far less costly Thornycroft Mighty Antar FV12001 replaced the above Leyland
    and became the new tank transporter of the British Army :exclamation: :slight_smile:
    The original British Army Thornycroft Mighty Antar 6x4 Tank Transporters were also powered by Rover
    Meteorite petrol engines - 1-3 MPG! :exclamation: :smiley: ,but the later Mk3’s had Rolls-Royce 8SFL IL8-Cylinder 333 BHP
    Diesel-Oil Engines.
    By the way,the Rover Meteorite V8 petrol and diesel engines were developed from the famous
    Rolls-Royce Merlin V12 Aeroplane Engine :slight_smile: The Rover motorcar company was developing Sir Frank
    Whittle’s pioneer gas turbine jet aeroplane engine.Rolls-Royce were making military tank engines,as
    well as aeroplane engines and motorcars.The military tank engine was based on the Merlin aeroplane
    engine. In August 1940 the head of Rolls-Royce,Lord Hives,had dinner with the boss of Rover,Spencer
    Wilkes. Hives was determined to get Rolls-Royce into the jet aeroplane engine business,so he did a
    deal with Rover: Hives said to Wilkes “What are you doing with this jet engine? :question: You don’t know
    anything about aeroplane engines;that’s our job - you grub about on the ground”. Hives then said:
    I’ll tell you what I’ll do. I’ll give you our tank engine factory at Nottingham;you give me this jet job".
    Wilkes replied:“Done.”
    So for the price of that wartime meal - fifteen shillings - Rolls-Royce got into the gas turbine jet
    aeroplane engine business! :exclamation: :slight_smile:

Leyland FV1003,Rover Meteorite,V8,498 BHP,Petrol-Engined,60-Ton,6x6,Tractive Unit,FV3301 Semi-Trailer,Tank Transporter,LYN 60,London,2-1951.Development lorry. TNUK,OTL,Unrecognized Motor,2-2020.DEANB 3#

unkown.PNG

VALKYRIE

oiltreader:
Oily

You can clearly see its Chevrolet pedigree there Oily!

VALKYRIE:

DEANB:

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Unrecognized Motor ,Page 1 .Leap Year Day :slight_smile: Saturday,29th February,2020.

VALKYRIE.

Tank Transporter In Development.

The impressive lorry in the photograph,QV below,was designed and developed from 1947 to 1951 by
Leyland Motors for and on behalf of the then War Office=WO-WD=War Department,later renamed the
MOD=Ministry Of Defence.Certain members of the British Motor Industry were under contract to the
WO to produce a range of new Post War military vehicles to standardized designs from jeep-type cars
to tank transporters,and all were to be powered by petrol engines…ideally the Rolls-Royce B-Type
OHI-SVE 4,6 and 8-cylinder petrol engine range.
But in reality,although some standardized designs,some of which had Rolls-Royce petrol engines,entered
military service,the majority were commercial designs,some of which had diesel-oil engines and others
had petrol engines that were not made by Rolls-Royce.

By the way,I have often wondered why the British military insisted on petrol engines. Although British
power was waning the British still had military outposts in many parts of the world in the 1940s,1950s,1960s
and 1970s.From a logistical point of view petrol was probably easier to obtain than diesel in many of
these outposts.Petrol was also cheap and plentiful in all parts of the world in those days,while diesel was
probably harder to get in certain areas of the world,because the diesel engine was still in its infancy in
those areas. The British government had a healthy military spending budget,so could afford to run a
large fleet of petrol motor vehicles and it made sense from a logistical and tactical point of view :slight_smile:

Well,that’s my take on it :slight_smile:

Anyway,back to the Leyland lorry in the photograph:-

Leyland FV1003 60-Ton 6x6 Tractive Unit,FV3301 Semi-Trailer,Articulated Tank Transporter Lorry.
Rover Meteorite Mk202A,Petrol Injection,Watercooled,18,012cc,SOHC per bank,60 degree V8,
498 bhp,1035 LBS,FT Torque,Petrol-Engine.

560mm Hydraulic Coupling and Friction Clutch.

Leyland 5-Speed 1 Reverse Gearbox.

Servo-Assisted 3-Speed Transfer Gearbox.

Drive went via propeller shafts to the front driving axle and bevel and spur reduction gears to the rear walking beams,inside of which spur gears drove the axles. This transmission system was basically similar
to that of the Scammell Pioneer,as was the big transverse leaf spring suspension on the centrally
pivoted front driving axle! :exclamation: :slight_smile:

There was no rear suspension as such:The centrally pivoted walking beams were limited
to a 305mm up and down movement,and were fitted with bump stops that limited this movement.

Brakes were air.

It had hydraulic power assisted steering.

This Leyland,which was the FV1000 Series project,eventually became the FV1003,
and was tested at the FVRDE=Fighting Vehicles Research & Development Establishment at Chertsey

• and indeed,where it was designed! :exclamation: :slight_smile:
    But alas! :exclamation: This Leyland proved to be too costly,too heavy and didn’t meet the mobility requirements.
    Therefore it was dropped in late 1951 - officially announced by the War Office in March 1955 :exclamation: :slight_smile:
    Meanwhile,also in 1951,the far less costly Thornycroft Mighty Antar FV12001 replaced the above Leyland
    and became the new tank transporter of the British Army :exclamation: :slight_smile:
    The original British Army Thornycroft Mighty Antar 6x4 Tank Transporters were also powered by Rover
    Meteorite petrol engines - 1-3 MPG! :exclamation: :smiley: ,but the later Mk3’s had Rolls-Royce 8SFL IL8-Cylinder 333 BHP
    Diesel-Oil Engines.
    By the way,the Rover Meteorite V8 petrol and diesel engines were developed from the famous
    Rolls-Royce Merlin V12 Aeroplane Engine :slight_smile: The Rover motorcar company was developing Sir Frank
    Whittle’s pioneer gas turbine jet aeroplane engine.Rolls-Royce were making military tank engines,as
    well as aeroplane engines and motorcars.The military tank engine was based on the Merlin aeroplane
    engine. In August 1940 the head of Rolls-Royce,Lord Hives,had dinner with the boss of Rover,Spencer
    Wilkes. Hives was determined to get Rolls-Royce into the jet aeroplane engine business,so he did a
    deal with Rover: Hives said to Wilkes “What are you doing with this jet engine? :question: You don’t know
    anything about aeroplane engines;that’s our job - you grub about on the ground”. Hives then said:
    I’ll tell you what I’ll do. I’ll give you our tank engine factory at Nottingham;you give me this jet job".
    Wilkes replied:“Done.”
    So for the price of that wartime meal - fifteen shillings - Rolls-Royce got into the gas turbine jet
    aeroplane engine business! :exclamation: :slight_smile:

Leyland FV1003,Rover Meteorite,V8,498 BHP,Petrol-Engined,60-Ton,6x6,Tractive Unit,FV3301 Semi-Trailer,Tank Transporter,LYN 60,London,2-1951.Development lorry. TNUK,OTL,Unrecognized Motor,2-2020.DEANB 3#

VALKYRIE

Well done Valkyrie,a comprehensive reply if ever there was one,thank you indeed.

David