The humble Ford D series

Dipster:

Bewick:

5thwheel:
Would imagine this unit was fairly new.

■■■■■■■ V8 !! I wonder how long it lasted getting punched up and down day and night ? not long I guess as they couldn’t stand up to every man and his dog thrashing them ! SoM probably had to show willing to Ford’s as they were large customers but privately they could not have been very happy with the D1000’s reliability ! Cheers Dennis.

Interesting point.

My experience of Ford (or FoMoCo as it was known then) was after sales service was always excellent over many years. I can imagine a big user would have received really excellent after sales from Ford. So I doubt SoM suffered financially very much if at all.

Even if there is/was 100% warranty support it is the inconvenience of breakdowns and downtime thereafter and it is this element that causes serious operational difficulties and believe me the ■■■■■■■ V’s were very unreliable and the Perkins V’s which superseded them were not much of an improvement. The only way you could succeed with both these engines was to treat them with the greatest respect and in no way were they in the same league as the Gardner or Straight 6 ■■■■■■■ engines although at first they were promoted as being ! Big mistake ! Cheers Bewick.