Old Hull Haulage companys

An interesting topic cropped up, well interesting to me anyway. I said I remembered the “old road” to Hull. Not slightly true as I only remember parts of it as the Ferriby bypass was completed in 1961 that was just after the overhead traffic lights which caused so much congestion and mayhem. Long before the Humber Bridge (1981) 20 years before.

The next phase was from the old A63 which ran past my fathers pub, and included “Cave Bypass” went to Brough. Many will remember the roundabout in Brough, straight on for the aeroplane factory or left at the greenhouses.

North Cave – Hull
The section from junction 38 of the M62 (its terminus) to the A1034 junction near South Cave was single carriageway before the M62 opened in May 1976. The section was constructed as the duelling of the Caves Bypass and opened when the last eastern section of the M62 opened, completing the dual carriageway link to the outskirts of Hull. From junction 38, the B1230 leads to North Cave (and in the direction of Beverley) along the former A63. The BP Triangle North Cave is alongside the junction.
There is the Beacon Service Area on the eastbound side, with the South Cave East Little Chef and Shell Beacon, situated just south of Everthorpe and Wolds prisons. The road skirts the southern edge of South Cave, and near Ellerker it crosses the former route (and Ermine Street from Brough, then known as Petuaria, to York) at the A1034 junction.
The 2.5 miles (4 km) Elloughton bypass was built in October 1971, from the A1034 to the Welton/Brough junction passing Brantingham to the west. It replaced the former road through Elloughton and Brough. This section skirts the southern edge of the Yorkshire Wolds.
The Welton/Brough – North Ferriby section opened in 1961. At the Elloughton-■■■-Brough-Welton parish boundary, there is a grade-separated junction for Brough to the south and Welton to the north. The road passes on the south side of South Hunsley School (with a leisure centre) at Melton, part of the parish of Welton.
A new grade separated junction was constructed east of Melton near North Ferriby in 2006/7. The Shell Grand Dale filling station is on the westbound side, west of the Melton interchange. The Yorkshire Wolds Way crosses at this point.
The North Ferriby bypass and North Ferriby – Hessle sections opened in 1961. The former route is partly the B1231 (for Swanland). The road meets the A15 at a grade-separated junction. The former route, before the South Docks Road improvement, followed the current A1105 into Hull.
The road continues through the Humber Bridge Country Park, across the Hull-Selby railway, and under the Humber Bridge. The Humber bridge was designed to take some of Hull’s traffic southwards, but the vast majority takes the A63 westwards, towards the M18. The road passes on the south side of Hessle, next to Hessle railway station, and follows the Hull to Selby railway line closely on the southern side as far as the outskirts of Hull near the western docks.

The last phase was Melton and the new industry that is sited where RTZ Capper Pass smelting works was built. It was our MP David Davis and his arch enemy John Prescot who pushed for these improvements in 1999. The traffic lights were eventually removed, weight limits were applied in Melton and a new junction was built.