Any old promotor drivers around

Efes:
Funnily enough when we went into Poland to deliver food relief when marshal law had been declared in the Solidarity times the local newspaper asked if they could take a photo of me by my lorry for an article they were writing about me. They asked me to go on my (very rare) day off to stand by the lorry in Dunton Green but I naturally wasn’t terribly interested. I suggested they might like to go with me to Dunton Green on Sunday afternoon when I was leaving for my next trip and was advised that they didn’t work Sundays! Impasse. They settled for a photo of our hero standing with an open map instead.

[Inserted later] We did a photo shoot for the TV with a convoy of several of us motoring around in a big circle in the Dunton Green depot when the food relief project was going on. Were you in that Sandway?

I never heard that story about Iran before Sandway. Most interesting! I wonder how many paid up?

I showed your Tehran Embassy photos to friend of mine but he said the building he visited was a modern concrete jobbie and nothing like what he saw in your pictures. Maybe our military people that protected the embassy lived in a different building?

I loved doing the food aid to Poland Efes as I think most of us did but I was never in a photo shoot. However, I only did, I believe, four loads and always loaded back out of Germany except on the last occasion when I was told to go direct to the docks in Rotterdam. There I was to meet Micky Twemlow, who would be loading a big dump truck on one of our stripped down supercube’s. I had to swap trailers with him then proceed asap to Izmir in Turkey to an exhibition being held there. A fantastic trip but didn’t have my camera with me.

Concerning the cancelled All British event. Two companies refused to pay up. One of them was Wilson Generators from Northern Ireland. Brian Wilson, who I knew well and was a good customer, rang me and after the pleasantries just said, “I’m not paying that invoice of yours”. And that was that.

The other thing you mentioned was the construction of the Embassy building in Ferdowsi Avenue, Tehran. The side of the building facing the Avenue is modern but if you look at photos online you will see it has softer lines on the garden side. I have attached a photo taken from Ferdowsi Avenue showing the business side of the building where the main entrance is. The entrance I used on at least a dozen occasions.

british-embassy-in-tehran.jpg