Roadworks - satnav routing?

CookieMonster:
The problem with satnavs is that their maps have to work offline, ie without internet access. Therefore they cannot self-update on a constant basis like Google maps can.
Most satnav providers will only release their updated maps every 6 months, due to cost of creating the updated files, uploading them to be downloaded via internet connection or for storage on memory cards.
Due to the amount of new roads being created it would not be possible for offline services to update any more frequently than they currently do.
Google does work well, as long as you have a decent internet connection and sufficient data, especially for dealing with traffic delays or diversions.
No option is perfect, and all rely on the driver being able to interpret the information they provide instead of just blindly following it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I see your point about offline services but they could be better - my apps actually do updates every 3 months but I don’t think they are as complete as could be. Also I have found that the routing is not so good as google (not necessarily due to updates) as the office have questioned me… it seems they look at google for routing. So I’ve got data for my phone’s SIM and I’ll be trying it again this week. The firm phone is a bit small, so now with a larger screen I’ll see how it goes.

The other advantage with google is that when one puts in the postcode… one can then see the location of the destination and click the ‘teardrop’ and then one goes straight in there. Some postcodes can cover a huge area like the Rougham old airfield near Bury St Edmunds - the road is not always given on one’s run sheet. For a while I ignored postcodes and just used the road name and town which often worked better.