Roadworks - satnav routing?

With all the new roadworks being implemented in the areas like M11 and A14 (E & W) I find anytime I go onto a new road it throws the satnav routing - tried a number of different apps and its the same (last week each of the apps I’ve used were updated and still the same problem on Sat & Sun). I’ve learnt something new which is that an update is not necessarily that up to date. Only google seems to cope with new roads and yet I can’t find any info on their updates - it seems they update almost immediately. At present they seem to be doing a new road one week and it is completed the next. Changes from week to week - one night I got lost because the diversion sign was wrongly placed - not fun in an artic trying to find places to stop and work out a route to a known road to get “one’s bearings” again.

I’ve gone back to using google, then checking routes for bridges and weight limits in the Trucker’s Atlas. Seems it is the only way. Another 12 months and the roadworks will be mostly finished I suppose. A satnav will only be any good if there are immediate updates which rules out most apart from google it seems.

Often someone posts for satnav advice - these days I’d say save your cash and pay for a] data on google and b] Trucker’s Atlas.

Is it just me or have other folk had problems?

The problem with satnavs is that their maps have to work offline, ie without internet access. Therefore they cannot self-update on a constant basis like Google maps can.
Most satnav providers will only release their updated maps every 6 months, due to cost of creating the updated files, uploading them to be downloaded via internet connection or for storage on memory cards.
Due to the amount of new roads being created it would not be possible for offline services to update any more frequently than they currently do.
Google does work well, as long as you have a decent internet connection and sufficient data, especially for dealing with traffic delays or diversions.
No option is perfect, and all rely on the driver being able to interpret the information they provide instead of just blindly following it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

if the diversion sign was as you say " wrongly placed" then surely the entire volume of motorway traffic wnded up going down the same road as yourself?
of
did you just make the normal everyday bollox of it ,get lost,and actually had to just look at a map and pick your way back to the motorway pre cabbage blindly follows satnav after passing test in an automatic days??

dieseldog999:
if the diversion sign was as you say " wrongly placed" then surely the entire volume of motorway traffic wnded up going down the same road as yourself?
of
did you just make the normal everyday bollox of it ,get lost,and actually had to just look at a map and pick your way back to the motorway pre cabbage blindly follows satnav after passing test in an automatic days??

The one I was thinking of was one for “high load” which was skewed. The next night on the same route I twigged and was ok.

trouble is at night they put up “diversion” sign BUT don’t say which although sometimes one gets description e.g. A14(E) and a series of signs along the route which is fine. Other signs one gets the diversion sign with the circle, square, triangle and so one can follow - which last week I managed on the whole to follow.

dont be coming to ireland then.
over here you get the sign…ROAD CLOSED DIVERSION…after that theres nothing and your on your own.
sometimes if theres a 10 turn diversion and they only have 3 signs,theres one at each end and one somewhere in the middle,the rest of the time your on your own.
this is also assuming the local scallywags dont turn them the other way. :slight_smile:

CookieMonster:
The problem with satnavs is that their maps have to work offline, ie without internet access. Therefore they cannot self-update on a constant basis like Google maps can.
Most satnav providers will only release their updated maps every 6 months, due to cost of creating the updated files, uploading them to be downloaded via internet connection or for storage on memory cards.
Due to the amount of new roads being created it would not be possible for offline services to update any more frequently than they currently do.
Google does work well, as long as you have a decent internet connection and sufficient data, especially for dealing with traffic delays or diversions.
No option is perfect, and all rely on the driver being able to interpret the information they provide instead of just blindly following it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I see your point about offline services but they could be better - my apps actually do updates every 3 months but I don’t think they are as complete as could be. Also I have found that the routing is not so good as google (not necessarily due to updates) as the office have questioned me… it seems they look at google for routing. So I’ve got data for my phone’s SIM and I’ll be trying it again this week. The firm phone is a bit small, so now with a larger screen I’ll see how it goes.

The other advantage with google is that when one puts in the postcode… one can then see the location of the destination and click the ‘teardrop’ and then one goes straight in there. Some postcodes can cover a huge area like the Rougham old airfield near Bury St Edmunds - the road is not always given on one’s run sheet. For a while I ignored postcodes and just used the road name and town which often worked better.

dieseldog999:
dont be coming to ireland then.
over here you get the sign…ROAD CLOSED DIVERSION…after that theres nothing and your on your own.
sometimes if theres a 10 turn diversion and they only have 3 signs,theres one at each end and one somewhere in the middle,the rest of the time your on your own.
this is also assuming the local scallywags dont turn them the other way. :slight_smile:

Just the joys of driving :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

jessejazza:
Another 12 months and the roadworks will be mostly finished I suppose.

Spoken like a true newbie [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

If it helps, my Garmin (without live traffic) works if I press ‘Diversion’ as I’m approaching the roadworks, automatically takes me on a suitable diversion.

Actually I think it’s ‘Change Route’ but same outcome [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

This week I have used google and Here maps. Must say the routing on Here maps was without fault. Can’t say the same for google. Even though Here maps does 3 month updates when it does an update all does seem to be updated. (Co-Pilot only does 6 month updates and not fully).

Here maps my choice at present although I do tap the postcode into google, then look for the site I am delivering to, and touch the teardrop making it the destination so I am led directly to it rather than risking a wide area postcode and needing to do an unnecessary reverse or two.

jessejazza:
This week I have used google and Here maps. Must say the routing on Here maps was without fault. Can’t say the same for google. Even though Here maps does 3 month updates when it does an update all does seem to be updated. (Co-Pilot only does 6 month updates and not fully).

Here maps my choice at present although I do tap the postcode into google, then look for the site I am delivering to, and touch the teardrop making it the destination so I am led directly to it rather than risking a wide area postcode and needing to do an unnecessary reverse or two.

Here maps seem to be doing updates each month (just done this morning). For my 300-400 mile a day I have found their routing good… better than google I reckon.