Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Spardo:
The J2 is really a strong memory jogger. :unamused:

Here’s my contribution. It would have been in the 60s or 70s I reckon when I had a job with a Glasgow firm, James Scott and Co, based at Castle Donnington (where the pre-war and later race track is now) who were pylon erectors. My first job with them was running around for spares and they gave me a Transit van which at the time was the most comfy thing on 4 wheels. It had Hertz written on the side and I realised it was hired until they were supplied with a new one of their own from head office.

The dread day came and I drove my ■■■■■■ to Glasgow, expecting to get a new one in return. Not so, my new steed was a J2. I set off south with a heavy heart and, as it was the middle of winter, by the time I got to Stainmore was frozen to the wheel. I simply couldn’t get the heater to work. I settled down before the roaring fire with a large tea and bacon sarnie and got chatting to another driver who noticed how close I was keeping to the flames. I told him my sad story and, when we were ready to go, he said he would have a quick look at my problem. He lifted the bonnet in the cab and opened the valve that fed hot water to the heater. :open_mouth: :blush:

I can’t say I appreciated the rolling and rocking fairground ride that the strange forward control set up, but I was at least warm by the time I got back to Nottingham. :laughing:

And started looking for another job with a better vehicle?!..