In house Breathyliser and drugs testing

robroy:
So you can come up with any phrase or name calling you like mate :smiley: , I’ll just carry on making the best of a [zb] bad job, and tbh when I look at some others and the way they are treated, I haven’t done too badly so far.

So enough about me and what I do…What about you?

The point is that all your internet bluster and bravado about how you won’t stand for this or that and questioning what happens if you refuse x, y or z is just that: bluster. I will bet if your employer brings in breathalyser and drug testing you will still keep working for them, despite your objections. That is the reason why I say ‘all mouth and no trousers’ because it just so happens to be the crux of it. If you are not going to vote with your feet when they force new and intrusive rules upon you to which you strongly object then you’ve only got yourself to blame and no-one is going to care when you come on here whinging about it, like you do. Either do something constructive about it or shut up whinging. You rant about other drivers being ‘yes’ men, rolling over and taking whatever crap is thrown at them, yet you do the exact same thing. Hypocritical much? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

The company I worked for introduced driver facing cameras 18 months ago. It was a decent enough job; double-manned, job and knock and from the actual hours worked vs the salary made the hourly rate well above average for the area. Predictably, when we were first informed that they were coming there was much crying and stamping of feet to be heard from all corners of the yard and canteen about how “it’s not right” and “I’ll refuse to drive them”. I made my objections known to our TM in a polite and considered manner but it fell on deaf ears, like you would expect. I deemed them to be a step too far as I object to being filmed at the best of times and I certainly was not going to stand for being filmed to that level of scrutiny whilst working so I began job hunting. In the interim period while these were being installed in the company vehicles I was able to get my hands on a hire motor each time, which didn’t have them fitted, but that only lasted so long. So I handed in my notice and left. How many of the other drivers also voted with their feet specifically because of the cameras? None. A few have left for other unrelated reasons but all of the most vocal objectors are still there and still driving for them.

Ironically, the next job I applied for was driving a 26t rigid on local work, early starts but job and knock and good money for driving a rigid. Seemed a bit too good to be true but it was a well known company. Interview went fine, pay rates confirmed to be correct, just needed to do a quick assessment drive. It was at that point I spotted the driver facing cameras. I told the assessor there was no point continuing and the reasons why. “You’re the 3rd driver this month that’s been here for the job then not wanted it once they’ve found out about the cameras” he said. They have an advert up on the job sites pretty much every week and I expect the reason why they can’t get drivers is because of this.

Damage deductions, drug and breath tests, driver facing cameras… they are coming to all companies whether you like it or not. Many places already have them and it will under the standard pretense of being “for your safety” when the truth is “for cheaper insurance premiums” and “covering over arses to protect us from any liability”. You’ll either learn to ■■■■ it up and work in that environment or vote with your feet and retrain in a different role.