In house Breathyliser and drugs testing

I’m in two minds about this.

One side says to hell with them, i ain’t stupid enough to risk my livelihood and i take pride in my work, plus even i wanted to go to work under the influence i’m no drinker and would have a job to stand up straight after 3 pints, and as for drugs if i was in charge of the country convicted drug dealers would be put against the wall first offence, with users facing real jail time…so why should i have to submit to random testing as if i’m one of those miserable worthless specimens.

The other side admits that we work with a small number of bloody fools, even the best jobs have them, but in these days of minorities holding rule over the rest of us it’s hard for a company even if they have suspicions to take action, if the company got it wrong and the person singled out proved clean but isn’t a working class mature white native Brit male then the company has laid itself open to all sorts of trouble, hence why it has to be random only.

On balance whilst not happy about it i would reluctantly give whatever samples were required, and curse my fellow workers (probably sacked already) who through their stupidity ignorance and lack of pride in themselves caused this sorry state of affairs to be, BUT, this random testing must apply equally to very person employed by the company right up to and including the big cheese, not just for drivers, and it must be a random machine that everyone has to press the button of when arriving at work, including security and the person trained (qualified?) in the testing procedure.

The machine must be calibrated and of a quality that would stand as indisputable evidence at the Old Bailey, and the person overseeing properly qualified in its use, there also needs to be a code of practice in place regarding what is the order of events should someone fail the test, ie if they walk out and refuse to go to the next stage then they’ve probably sacked themselves but no one should be sacked on the spot if they protest innocence and a proper investigation involving company doctors etc must follow immediately.

We are where we are with this one, it’s probably not something the company want to do either and i doubt if it’s on a whim, there might be good reason but the story behind it has been kept quiet, the penalties for allowing persons under the influence out on the road in a vehicle belonging to them could well end up with everyone losing their jobs.

Put it this way, if the choice was between proving you are sober and drugs free, or a driver facing camera, then the former wins every time.