Old guy newbie looking for some honest opinions

Thanks fellas, some good encouragement there, so I will go for it but still not sure about my licence situation. So after scouring through DVLA website couldn’t find the answer, plenty about renewing CPC but not the actual licence renewal. I rang DVLA to enquire regarding my licence situation. The response was that my old HGV licence has long since expired and because it wasn’t renewed its now run out and I will have to retrain both licence category and full CPC. I asked at what stage does it run out then? 5 years 10 years? etc, he then waffled on about changing laws and different laws for different aged licences but not really answering my question but he was ‘sure’ I would have to do all the training again and requalify. Being a tad cynical in my old age I asked him to direct me to the exact piece of road traffic legislation or regulations that stipulate this so I can read it officially for myself. He again waffled on about the road traffic act/regulations etc but again couldn’t provide the exact answer. :confused: Probably a bit rude and I feel a tad guilty now, :blush: I said can I speak to someone that does knows about theses things? it went a bit frosty after that :unamused:
Long story short I have had to email my query to DVLA via their website, I await their response.