Glasgow Transcontinentals

I remember these well as I lived not far from what we called ‘The Coup’! I remember some of the Fords were green as well. Glasgow Corporation were Ford users so whoever ordered them probably didn’t look past Croft’s dealership in the Gallowgate who supplied the Council.
Perhaps ‘Brown Envelopes’ were involved, perhaps not?
If I recollect correctly, the trailers were not 40 foot, some being 30 foot others 36 foot. They ran from Polmadie, Dawsholm, Govan and a depot near the Round Toll to the landfill which today is empty and unused. Methane being the problem, I heard.
They were replaced By Wendy House Volvo’s with Day Cabs and one of these went in a convoy to Romania when it was fashionable to do Aid Runs.
Interesting to see one of them ended up at Cleland, I often drove from Newhouse Roundabout to Newmains and could see what I though was a Berliet/Renault wrecker sitting behind a house on the right before the bridge at Cleland, that was yellow too
Today they use DAF’s which some drivers can’t seem to keep on their wheels, that’s been a problem for years which happens when you get dustmen to drive and promote them beyond their ability and who have never heard of gravity! Being the Council, it’s a wonder they don’t fit stabilisers to the side of the trailers for H & S compliance!

Hope this is all useful.
Alex