What's this?

Found on Youtube:

w.JPG
youtube.com/watch?v=Ut4cZF4Nr3E

Is that a Scammell badge under the grill ?

[zb]
anorak:
Found on Youtube:

Looks like NZ.The car looks like a locally assembled Ford Fairlane the van we know is a J4 and the truck a local cabbed AEC ?. :wink:

Some UK Leylands used that cab, John Mason had one.

Pete.

I was close but no cigar.What’s 250 miles the other side of the World. :smiley: :wink:

forestfreighters.co.nz/Our+S … eaver.html

I second Carryfast, it looks like an AEC Mk.111 front axle, so possibly a Mandator Mk.111

[zb]
anorak:
Found on Youtube:

My friend Google tells me that Binnie Bros are livestock hauliers in Rotorua NZ. The body on the vehicle in the photo looks as though it could be a livestock crate. Furthermore he tells me that a similar vehicle, a Leyland Beaver, built in 1960, was registered by Binnie Bros in 1961. It has been restored. Google tops it off by telling me 22 were imported in to NZ originally.

Dipster:

[zb]
anorak:
Found on Youtube:

My friend Google tells me that Binnie Bros are livestock hauliers in Rotorua NZ. The body on the vehicle in the photo looks as though it could be a livestock crate. Furthermore he tells me that a similar vehicle, a Leyland Beaver, built in 1960, was registered by Binnie Bros in 1961. It has been restored. Google tops it off by telling me 22 were imported in to NZ originally.

Certainly looks like a Leyland badge on the front which was why I posted that other pic, but then I’m a Foden man so what would I know!! :wink:

Pete.

Whatever it is, it’s a Homalloy cab. Variations of it used on all sorts of motors including a few BMCs Pete.
Bernard

Punchy Dan:

Here’s the Scammell with similar cab. Ro

ERF-NGC-European:

Punchy Dan:

Here’s the Scammell with similar cab. Ro

Well you can see my thinking Robert :wink:

Carryfast:
I was close but no cigar.What’s 250 miles the other side of the World. :smiley: :wink:

Have a cigar. That site gives chapter and verse on the lorry. Who would have guessed that it is now in preservation?

[zb]
anorak:

Carryfast:

Have a cigar. That site gives chapter and verse on the lorry. Who would have guessed that it is now in preservation?

:sunglasses: And a King Edwards from me CF (cigar, that is - not potato!). Nice bit of research! Ro

gingerfold:
I second Carryfast, it looks like an AEC Mk.111 front axle, so possibly a Mandator Mk.111

That’s what fooled me gingerfold.That front axle looked very AEC like to me.Unless the description of a Beaver which I posted is actually wrong. :confused:

Carryfast:

gingerfold:

That’s what fooled me gingerfold.That front axle looked very AEC like to me.Unless the description of a Beaver which I posted is actually wrong. :confused:

Here’s the chassis, as pictured on the site you linked:

Is that an AEC axle? I would not put it past Aussie assemblers to decide to put an AEC axle on a Leyland, for whatever good reason.

[zb]
anorak:

Carryfast:

Is that an AEC axle? I would not put it past Aussie assemblers to decide to put an AEC axle on a Leyland, for whatever good reason.

Blimey wouldn’t it all be an amazing bit of ( accidental ) deduction starting with just a photograph if it turned out to be correct. :open_mouth: Over to gingerfold for his view.

Carryfast:

[zb]
anorak:

Carryfast:

Blimey wouldn’t it all be an amazing bit of ( accidental ) deduction starting with just a photograph if it turned out to be correct. :open_mouth: Over to gingerfold for his view.

The bumper bar obscures the view of the axle in this photo, but the position of the brake chambers ties in with an AEC axle, and the style of hub cap is similar to AEC Mk.111. The original photo does look like an AEC axle, with the curvature on the underside. The back axle is definitely Leyland however.

This is a photo of an AEC Mk.111 Mammoth Major Six (and Mandator) front axle…

Here’s another pic from CF’s link:

Is the axle any clearer?

I reckon Gingerfold could give us the final decision on this now ?
( click to enlarge )

Regards. John.

^^^^^^^
Thank you for enlarging that. They certainly look to be similar axles but I think the AEC axle has a straighter top axle beam. So not an AEC axle, (which was a bought in component from Alder)