Driving licence needs endorsed

trevHCS:
Only thing is, if you’re driving ADR loads, I’m pretty certain you need to have your licence or at least official form of ID with you while driving.

Cant check this time of night as book in car, but if Diesel Dave is around he might be able to clarify…or tell me I’m miss remembering another bit of the ADR course.

Hi trevHCS,

tachograph has already dealt with the driving licence question, so I’ll clarify the ADR query. :smiley:

For as long as I can remember, and up until October 2012, all ADR licences were on paper and issued by DVLA, Swansea. DVLA also took care of the record keeping.

ADR has a requirement that when a driver is carrying a fully regulated load, the driver must have some form of photographic ID on board to back up the paper ADR licence.

NOTE:
‘Fully regulated’ means

• any amount of any dangerous goods carried in a tanker or tank-container [including empty unclean]
  • any amount of any dangerous goods carried in a tipper or skip ( = ‘in bulk’) [including empty unclean]
  • packaged dangerous goods carried in an amount exceeding the relevant ADR Transport Category for those dangerous goods (0, 20, 333, 1,000) and NOT packaged as LQs or EQs.

:bulb: I reckon that the above is the thing that you have correctly remembered. :smiley:

=======================

After October 2012, SQA took over the issuing of ADR licences and the record keeping that goes with it.
At that point, the ADR licence became a photocard, so those who had qualified after October 2012 no longer needed to carry a form of photo ID because the ‘new’ ADR card took care of showing the driver’s entitlements AND the need for photo ID all on the once card. This would include the OP.

=======================

ADR (paper) licences issued by DVLA remained valid during the changeover and until renewal was required, so those drivers still needed to carry their photo ID.

A Swansea issued ADR paper licence cannot possibly be valid now since a driver with full entitlement refreshing the week before the changeover in 2012 would have had a theoretical maximum validity expiring late in 2017.