Trying to find night trunking work as a new pass

AliceDriver:
I’d say it may be a generational thing, but there seem to be people twice as old as me just coming in to the industry with similar confidence issues :confused: Personally I feel the lack of experience behind the wheel of a truck doesn’t help, there’s only so many hours people can afford for lessons and a test, and with all the insurance particulars and surveillance nowadays we can’t just easily tag along in a mate’s wagon for a shift and see how they drive it, plus all the [zb] that comes with a modern unit nowadays and their price tag, and the increasing number of impatient muppets in cars tearing around the roads like a race track, and wagon drivers getting the blame by default if there’s an accident involving a truck, it feels like there’s a lot at stake. Plus it feeling like most companies will just hand you the keys and say get on with it rather than spend a few hours on induction to show a newbie the ropes, like, I could have a guess at how to open and close a curtainsider but I’ve not been shown or taught it, and driving schools only cover what little is needed to pass the driving test and initial CPC :frowning:

But it has always been like this. I know that the old times like to hark on about being born on the engine hump of daddy’s Clydesdale :grimacing: , and learning to rope and sheet at the age of 5, but they are still in a majority. I would guess that at least for 4 or 5 decades, most drivers would have passed a test, and had to blag themselves into their first job. I’ve been driving here nearly 30 years, and it was a case of "no 2 years experience, no job " in the early 90’s, and no doubt before that in the 80’s.

I think it’s more to do with the social media obsession of naming and shaming, each and every mistake made, and people having become to ■■■■■■■ in receiving likes.

Just get behind the wheel, and get on with it. Honestly.