Buses, coaches, & lorries

cattle wagon man:

Ray Smyth:
Ribble fleet number 570, a Leyland Leopard, and a Western Scottish Bristol RE at Lowther Street
bus station in Carlisle in the 1970s. NMP.
Ray Smyth

Hi Leyland 600 ,
If my memory serves me right , is that Ribble Leopard bus one longer ones that had the front 4 seats removed to bring it down from a 53 seater
to a 44 or 45 seater for the purpose of not needing a Conductor.Conductress ? I travelled on some of those Leopards between Sedbergh and Kirkby Lonsdale in the late 1960`s .

Cheers , cattle wagon man .

That’s absolutely right - some of the 36’ Leopards were reduced to 45 seats, with large luggage pens on each side at the front of the saloon, due to a union agreement about one-man-operation. This would be around 1970-ish. This was most inconvenient when an 11 year old boy, on the way home from school, wanted to sit at the front and watch the driver! :laughing: They were later reverted to 53 seat

Even better, route 2 from Blackburn to Preston, deposited me at the end of Edward Street, Walton-le-Dale, where I could walk straight into the offices of Atkinson Vehicles at 4.55 pm to get a lift home with the old chap :slight_smile: