PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

pete smith:

Chris Webb:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
The Volvo looks like an ex M.Way motor, Round Oak Rail was based on Pedmore Road Dudley, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete There was a Round Oak Motor Services in Dudley late 60s,I used to backload off them quite regular.They did a lot of work for Walter Somers at Halesowen,die blocks from size of a 50p piece to over 10tons.They also used to send us to Stourport or was it Stourbridge for mining equipment for NCB.They once sent me into Somers for a lump of rejected steel to be returned to BSC (Samuel Fox) at Stocksbridge Sheffield.There was no weighbridge and the loader said it were “about 9 tons”.Aye it were,I knew it were more than that when going up that hill back to Oldbury - was it Quarry Bank - it made my LAD Reiver with 375 Leyland cough a bit all way back to Sheffield.It turned out the weight was close on 15 tons,and our gaffer always said “no more than 12 tons on that Reiver”. :grimacing:
He never said owt,must have been a good rate eh? :laughing:

Hi Chris,
Different companies mate, if it was out of Walter Somers it may of been Mucklow hill or if you was very brave Coomeswood, past Stewarts and Lloyds tube works!

It was this company Pete,and I thought their yard was on Pear Tree Lane or summat? Mind you it was 52 years ago I may well be out of order. :laughing:

roundoak.jpg