ADR vs HIAB vs Class 1

There are advantages and disadvantages to all of these options.
Going for your class 1 will make you able to do a lot more work, as you will be able to drive both artics and rigids. If you are just starting your driving career this will make it a lot easier to gain confidence and more importantly, the all important 2 years experience that lots of employers look for.

I did little bits of HIAB work despite never having a HIAB licence. There is plenty of work out there, which is pretty easy and the wages are comparable to most class 1 work. The downside is that a lot of your deliveries will be to building sites that may not appear on your Satnav or to residential areas that can get pretty tight to manoeuvre around.

I ended up doing my ADR about a year after getting my class 2. If you do this, make sure you do the course that qualifies you in packages and tanks, it costs a little bit more but opens more doors in the longer term. There is not as much ADR work at class 2 as there is at class 1, but it is out there, and it’s pretty easy work, especially if you can get on tanks. Doing your ADR could also open up the possibility of doing your PDP further down the line if you wanted to do fuels work.

The best thing to do is look at jobs in your area and see what jobs are available. Theres no point getting any qualification if there’s no demand for it in your area.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk