Any old promotor drivers around

Things are not looking healthy in Iran at present and perhaps worse than they have been for many a year. However, during the mid to late 80’s and early 90’s there were often political problems which, for Promotor, opened up welcome opportunities for us to set up our Independent British Participation Groups at the Tehran International Trade Fairs as well as one event we organised in the Intercontinental Hotel. I shall return to this show later.

There were I believe only two British Overseas Trade Board (BOTB) sponsored exhibitions organised during this period. Promotor organised the rest. Because of political unrest one year there was no British companies exhibiting at all apart from the odd few on their agents stands. I said the BOTB only sponsored two events that is incorrect. They only organised two but sponsored three. Promotor was able to arrange a British Group with the help of the Middle East Association, who as a not for profit organisation, filled the criteria set by the BOTB and sponsorship for the British Companies taking part was channelled through them. I am not sure of the year but I think its either 89 or 90.

Unfortunately the Fair Authorities weren’t able to offer us a decent pavilion and we ended up in, what looked like a basement area, in a far off hall. However, it didn’t take long for the Iranians to find us. Our group did plenty of business and things got so hectic I had to assist Ken from the MEA on the information stand. As I was running the event on my own it made my life even more hectic as I was handling all the travel arrangements for most of our group as well.

The twelve day Tehran Fair was drawing to a conclusion and Ken left on the London bound flight a few hours after the close. This is when I really got busy. Organising busses to take people to the airport and bringing in the empty cases and repacking the exhibits.

However, something occurred the next evening which I still look upon today with amazement. I never thought in a million years I would be sitting in the same seats in the same room where history was made forty five years previously.

Scan 2 (38) copy.jpg