PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Carl Williams:

marktaff:
Hi Dean,
Lovely pic of this Pickfords 6 legger…this would be one of the first batch of 6 leggers they put on the road in 1997…but here in this pic as had a new lease of life with a new paint job in the new colours and logo in the last couple of years.
I much preferred the old Allied logo but you cannot stop progress :smiley:

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,
If you are correct that van must have been about 20 years old when it went in for re-paint. I must admit it looks in remarkable condition. However it makes you wonder what’s going on at Pickfords. Just a few months ago I saw about 6 vans for sale on Trucktrader all under 2 years old. Why would anyone sane keep 20 + years old when parting with almost new?

Any thoughts or gossip?
Hope you have a good New Year

Carl

Hi Carl,
Although Dean points out the photo was taken in 2003 quite a few of these R plate volvo’s were still on the road up until about two years ago…i think there maybe the odd one still in service…but in all fairness the bodies on the 6 leg volvo’s were all built by Bevans from the Midlands …and were designed to be very hard wearing with very few gadgets so one fits all ramps and so on …so not suprised they still look good with a new coat of paint.

The new Pickfords these days are putting these old Bevans bodies on second hand chassis …a lot of these refurbished trucks are then sold to the franchised members around the country…
.they also build bodies in certain parts of the country and plant them on second hand chassis …and also buy second hand trucks also these days.

So they do run vehicles of a very old age these days.

Regards Mark

P8050152p.JPG.jpg