Any old promotor drivers around

Following on from my last post concerning the Algiers International Trade Fair I have a few photos left. They mainly show the construction of the stands. Stan Mountain built the lightweight panels using 2" x 1" timber and a felt material covering. Two of the panels were hinged together and these formed the corners and gave the stand its rigidity. It also meant it was, or could be, a one man operation. However, you needed a mate to put the fascia’s up. We used this idea in a number of events for the next few years in Libya and Iraq but it was best suited to low attendance shows as it wasn’t very robust and the felt would mark easily. Algiers wasn’t the ideal place for it but it lasted for the duration of the show which was all we wanted.

I helped Stan erect the stands which was simple enough and then placed the exhibits on or nearby them ready for the exhibitors to arrive. Dave Stagg also flew in for a few days but I noted he didn’t stay in the ‘Hotel Albert’. Hmm, that had me thinking but next time I went to Algiers I was still back in the same hotel. However, a couple of years later I did progress to a half decent one and it even had a swimming pool. But thats another story.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all those followers of this thread a ‘Very Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year’.