PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

HRS:
Hollis had a Leyland Terrier with a Luton body which we serviced, it had water in the sump (the usual liner seal problem, though not so common on the 98 series engines with twin seals in the block instead of a single one like the older 5.1/5.7 engines) so I fitted new liners etc. A few days later it came back with water in the oil again! Thinking I had split a seal it was stripped again but nothing visual was found. So it was rebuilt again but the sump was left off and sure enough water was weeping slowly from a liner. Took it apart yet again and a torch and mirror showed a blowhole actually in the seal groove in the block casting. A new short engine cured it! In all my years working on BMC wet liner engines that was the only such case I came across.
Pete.

Morning Pete, Great storey.
Got to ask, who paid for this job, if I remember right they were not two very shy wall flowers forgiving of everyone’s sins.
I remember when we all got excited about the “new issues” with wet liners and the dreaded Electrolysis. Harvey
[/quote]
I have no idea about payment Harvey, I was only a fitter! :laughing: It may have been under warranty of course as I don’t think we did other work for the company, it was one of the early Terriers I think and had the four pot 4/98 engine which were generally quite reliable. They used different liners which you had to lap into the block with grinding paste to acheive the correct standproud above the block face so as long as you got them all fairly equal they didn’t give the problems of liner drop like the earlier BMC engines. I don’t think they kept the vehicle long anyway, they soon moved up to larger trucks. As our garage had just had the yard tarmacked over, and it was a lovely summer, I did the job outside in the sunshine! :wink:

Pete.