Iveco Stralis pros/cons

Hi all,

Still in the market searching first unit. Previously made a deal with scania, but due to o licence long delays(continues) gave up to that unit, as Scania wanted to sell before the end of year.

Iveco offers 17 plate Stralis 460hp for £279+vat, 16 plate for £269+vat per week with R&M and 130k km per annum, 36 months.

Those of you who operate or drive the 16/17 plate, how is the overall condition, performance, reliability etc…?

It’s fairly cheap offer than anywhere else. Others starting from £390+vat week.

Thx

Don’t do it !
my work have 3 63plts which have been fine and they go back in January
and 2 16 plts on lease which have had DPF regen problems , one has had battery cut out problems ,both have had other engine management problems as well
also the exhaust if goes is 5k :open_mouth:

blue estate:
Don’t do it !
my work have 3 63plts which have been fine and they go back in January
and 2 16 plts on lease which have had DPF regen problems , one has had battery cut out problems ,both have had other engine management problems as well
also the exhaust if goes is 5k :open_mouth:

I’m not purchasing one. It’s an operating lease with full repair and maintenance included in weekly price.

I would not bother with an Iveco , prone to daft and annoying electrical problems and faults , i would go for a Renault Premium , narrow enough to access tight farms or entrances , pull well and a comfy cab but may be small if you are a tall person .

toby1234abc:
I would not bother with an Iveco , prone to daft and annoying electrical problems and faults , i would go for a Renault Premium ,

Do keep up Toby.

Premiums haven’t been available for around 5 years, and I doubt you would be able to get one on lease unless it was an ex lease motor, from a small hire company that have bought to re-lease them. Very unlikely to get one from a Renault dealer. The last Premiums were on 14 plate, at the same time that the T Range came out, so most of them will have been exported by now.

There is a guy on FB, that does lease older trucks out, called Kristian Farmer aka Elite Self Drive/Elite Trailer Services Ltd, who seems to get glowing reviews, if your in the market for a slightly older unit. And before anyone asks, I have no connection with him or the business. He is in Hucknall near Nottingham. I can tell you who to avoid if your planning on leasing older stuff, but not on here.

Ken.

toby1234abc:
I would not bother with an Iveco , prone to daft and annoying electrical problems and faults , i would go for a Renault Premium , narrow enough to access tight farms or entrances , pull well and a comfy cab but may be small if you are a tall person .

I do consider 12/13 plate Premiums, from Renault dealer sale for 10-12k around 600k on clock. Just worrying what would be the service costs. Looking for economical way to start with hire+r&m so fixed costs every month, no surprises. There is also 19 plate Scania s450 r&m for 465+vat. though not for me now. :wink:

The 16 plate, which is only on 200,000km went into the dealer because the mil light came on …yet again. It keeps bringing up the engine management light, mainly it seems because it never carries much weight. This will go out again and stay off for a worthwhile period if it is loaded specially with a heavy load, but that is a misnomer because it is down taxed, or if it is given a good thrashing. This came up as a warning that the engine could downrate into limp mode. So off to the dealer on the busiest day of the week.

The dealer returned it unfixed apologising that their software wouldn’t interrogate it successfully so since it was a real problem to be down one unit, we were to let it develop, then once it failed they would be able to find out the problem. Now that might have been just about OK 25 years ago with something like an obscure noise and it might be OK now from an operators own workshop, but not these days from dealers.

cav551:
The 16 plate, which is only on 200,000km went into the dealer because the mil light came on …yet again. It keeps bringing up the engine management light, mainly it seems because it never carries much weight. This will go out again and stay off for a worthwhile period if it is loaded specially with a heavy load, but that is a misnomer because it is down taxed, or if it is given a good thrashing. This came up as a warning that the engine could downrate into limp mode. So off to the dealer on the busiest day of the week.

The dealer returned it unfixed apologising that their software wouldn’t interrogate it successfully so since it was a real problem to be down one unit, we were to let it develop, then once it failed they would be able to find out the problem. Now that might have been just about OK 25 years ago with something like an obscure noise and it might be OK now from an operators own workshop, but not these days from dealers.

I read a lot of same reviews about Iveco ,being trouble to many. I guess that’s why their price is at lowest and its 3+35 , makes weekly price 315+vat not 299
Scania dealer told me their s450’s get 10.5 12 mpg. When calculate the fuel difference, Scania is just few hundred quids more per month, but problem free unit and their depot around 20 min to O. center.
Searching searching…

I seen a 64 plate 510 actros the other week at £99 per week operating lease, 15 & 65’s were £119. No R&M, obviously wouldn’t expect it at that price and 650k on the clock.

I could make it work at that price … well for a month or so before it breaks down :smiley:

There’s a reason they are so cheap, my current employer has 1 Stralis tractor on a 63 plate and it is ok, sometimes!

I have worked with another operator who has 5 66 plates and they were awful, panels dropping off on the motorway, constant ad-blue issues, they were run fully laden 90% of the time as well. Had a driver sat at a dealer for 3 days and still couldn’t successfully workout what was wrong !

We now run a fleet of second user R series Scania on a 65/16/66 plate and they are reliable.

A large proportion of the current fleet is Euro 4, obviously not good for the environment but a lot better for the bank balance, especially with an onsite garage.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk