PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

windrush:
The red Mercedes is one of Stone and Ogan’s from Derby. Now no longer trading.

Pete.

Thanks for the name Pete. :smiley:

Ray Smyth:
“DEANB”]M54 photos.

Hi Dean, I refer to the Bass Brewery trailer with the Mercedes in your post above. Around 1979 and 1980, The Wigan depot of
Robert Baillie had secured some work from Boalloy Ltd at Congleton in Cheshire. At that time, many hauliers and big fleet
companies were having 40ft flat trailers converted to curtainsided, and some gained a third axle to operate at 38 Tons G.V.W.
Once the conversion and bodywork was complete, the trailers were sent, without curtains, to Robert Baillie at Wigan for shot
blasting and painting. When Baillies were very busy, I was often asked to take a newly painted trailer to Boalloy, and head back
with the next converted one for painting. One day whilst at Boalloy, I saw a new curtainsided trailer that was narrower at the
roof level than at the deck level. One of the Boalloy staff told me that it was one of many new trailers for Bass Charrington,
and the narrowness at the top served two purposes, the double deck loads of palletised kegs were held by the curtain, and
that some places where many of their trailers were parked very close, side by side, meant that the top sides of the trailers
didn’t lean to one side and touch each other. Cheers, Ray.

Thanks for the comments about the Boalloy trailer Ray. :smiley: If you have a look on page 179 Ray there is an article about Bass which
mentions them using Boalloy curtain siders. :wink:

Heres a Boalloy brochure. Click on pages twice to read.

tyneside:
“DEANB”]M54 photos.

Leyland Roadtrain. I assume its a unit stretched or Consructor ■■? Anyone know the haulier ?

Re the Roadtrain, sorry don’t know the haulier. It could be a stretched unit but I think a six wheel haulage chassis complete with the high datum cab was available ex factory. Sure there was one operating on livestock work in the York area with a 24 or 26 ft body on the wagon and a drawbar trailer.
Tyneside

Thanks for your comments “tyneside” about the Roadtrain. :wink: Personally i think its been stretched but you could be right ? :unamused:
I have been through my Leyland stuff and cant find any 6 wheeler Roadtrains. I remember that you could buy an 8 wheeler Scammell S26
with that cab and i think a 6 wheeler.I thought it was a Scammell untill i saw the badge.
Someone who knows there Leyland’s may know ■■ Posted an article with a Scammell S26 on page 168.

240 Gardner:
“DEANB”

You’ve had this one before, Dean :wink:
Anyone recognise the Atkinson ■■?

Well yes, actually! I thought that the wheelbase looked a bit long for its age, and the number rang a bell too: as you can see, it’s undergone something of a transformation!

Thanks for the pic and info Chris. :wink: I know its been on before chap tend to use them again when putting an article on. :smiley:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
W.J.Capper are from Wellington Shropshire, they are still trading but sadly Billy Capper has passed away, a true Gentleman, they used to run Guy Big J’s and switched to Merc’s, now a Daf user, Cheer’s Pete

Thanks for the info Pete ! :smiley: Heres a slightly newer one.

Buzzer:
Looking at that Atki that has had an axle removed reminded me of the second artic I ever bought, it was a Mammoth Minor with twin steer axle and I removed the second steer as I was on round timber work and the thing had no traction as it acted like a see saw and if you are wondering the first artic I had was a mandator with a 680 in it and had no guts at all so we parted company PDQ, cheers Buzzer.

Thanks for your comments Buzzer. :smiley:

This may bring back a few memories. :laughing:

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dean, Further to my earlier post regarding the Bass Brewery curtainsided trailer with the narrow roofline.
This picture is Robert Baillie depot at Wigan, where the paintwork was carried out on the converted trailers.
The bay on the right was fitted with a sealed wall inside, plus heating, lighting, and extractors.
The site, which is just 400 yards from M6, J25 is now home to Sainsbury`s and McDonalds.

Regards, Ray.

Great pic Ray thanks for posting it. :smiley:

tastrucker:
“DEANB”]

hello DEAN ,and thank you for the Wrekin Roadways Scammell and the very interesting Steel hauliers article ,quite a bit about Shotton , Trevor

Cheers Trevor. :wink:

MANTRONIC:
“DEANB” We have had some cracking pics of hauliers pulling steel,stillages etc.

Hey Dean ,you dont half look after us Welsh lads all those gems from S Wales dont where to start ,William Morgan had drivers in the Brecon area ,and have been told the Transcon was with a driver from Talgarth .
The Cardiff Transport MAN was one of the first they had by the reg ,and Penry Morgan from Blaenavon are still with us ,but the Atkinsons before my time , lush !thanx MT

Thought you might like them “MT” thanks for the comments. :wink: