Why no sleepers on UK trucks

I did my share of planks across the bonnet, later i got a Crusader with a cushette, previously a Scanny 110 day cab with the same, cushette eh there’s posh for you :laughing:

It was different days, we were a hell of lot less snowflakey then and generally out to make a living doing the job we wanted to do from when we were kids, the difference in pay between a company paying 25% of what the motor earned with an old Mickey Mouse Foden or Buffalo and the all flash no cash crew down the road with their Swedish sleepers was considerable, pay was my first priority so old MM it was.

I liked going in decent digs, indeed right up until i finished on the transporters i’d still book into a B&B or cheapy hotel once a week or so if i could find one near where i could park the motor safely.

The thing about nights out in those days, and still the same for sane drivers now, whilst we might sleep in the lorry we’d always get away from the thing for a few hours, decent meal a pint or two, a chat with other normal humans or get comfy in a corner of the pub (preferably at an advantageous totty spotting point) with a decent book for a couple of hours.

Course in the older more sensible days it was a 12.5 hour max day, so chances were you’d be parking up at tea time latest, and there were lots of places to park near to or in town.

Sod this parking up at 14hrs 59mins in a layby inches from a dual bloody carriageway, pull the curtains round, self cater, sleep, rinse and repeat for the rest of your week :unamused: